Is my CV okay for uploading with CS Masters applications ?

ahmadka

Hi guys .. I've made an academic CV (which I've never made before) for sending along with my CS Masters application submissions.

Please have a look and tell me if something is wrong or can be improved, or is not needed, etc.

Please note that for privacy reasons, I've replaced all hard info with dummy data (changed names, university names, addresses, company names, locations, etc.). But all other data is actual data.

Page 1:

t5w7MLC.jpg

Page 2:

63HA85r.jpg

Page 3:

uJm3XLU.jpg

Looks ok, if a bit long.

- Should include a list of publications, if any 

- I'd remove the references section if you are also submitting reference letters.

-  The technical skill section doesn't seem of interest for applying to an academic program...

- You can probably summarize /cut some of the points in the professional work section.

I'm assuming you are addressing somewhere else the reasons for applying for a second master  and for not having your master's advisor as reference.

Here are my thoughts on the general CV (broad comments only, won't comment on wording etc.)

1. I think the order you list things is very good.

2. I would remove the References section (same reason as gorki)

3. I would shorten the technical skills section to be relevant to what you are applying for. For example, in my field, you are applying for a program to build telescope instrumentation, then it makes sense to list lab/experimental technical skills and if you are applying to data analysis programs, then it makes sense to list computer/coding skills. I agree with gorki that some of these skills do not seem relevant to an academic program, but it depends on what you are doing in terms of research!

4. Also agree that your bullet points in "professional work" can be reduced--maybe limit it to only 3 points per item 

5. Finally, I feel like there is something a little "wrong" or "off" with the formatting/layout. Maybe it's just the way it shows up on my screen, but it appears a little "wide". That is, you have critical information spanning across the entire width of the page! For example, you have the dates on the left margin, then the position title in the middle and then the location right-aligned. I think this makes it very hard to focus and read because I have to scan across the entire page to read the first line of each item, which means I am constantly scanning to see if I am missing anything. In addition, the shaded header lines add to the effect that this is a "wide" CV.

My suggestion for this would be to remove the gray background. Also, move the "location" tag to go right below your position title instead. This will clear up your right hand side a lot and the reader will no longer have to scan across the entire page for almost every single line. They would only read to the right hand side when they need to (i.e. when one of your bullet points is long enough to read across). 

1) Are you guys sure about removing the references section ? Because I looked at lots of college application CV samples, and all had a references section.

2) Sadly no publications .. I'm an industry oriented guy and am not going the academic route.

3) Technical Skills section has been removed entirely. I agree that it might not be relevant in an academic setting. Let me know if anyone feels the opposite.

4) The 'wide' layout, yeah I have to agree. I did this intentionally to utilize more left-right space, to try and decrease page count. For now I'm not changing it as I personally feel it's not a big issue, and because it will take a considerable amount of time to change the whole layout to 'fix' it. However if more people feel that it is an issue, then I might try to fix it.

5) Regarding doing a second Masters, I'm addressing that in my SOP.

6) Regarding not including my Grad supervisor as a reference (you have a sharp eye gorki! :D), well to be honest it's because I felt that he wasn't all that happy with me. But the reasons behind that are quite complex: such as I realized eventually that I didn't want to study the field I was studying at the time, the professor was also a pain in the ass sometimes, etc. But the university should not automatically penalize for not having him as a reference, right ? I mean its up to me to decide who to have a referee, as I know they'll best represent my traits.

Another question, is the 'Notable Projects' worth including ? I mean it does have relevance, although I haven't come across many academic CVs meant for CS Master's admission, which have a Projects section.

- Absolutely sure about the references section for a CV applying to graduate school.

- Your CV is currently 3 pages and I don't think increasing it to 4 pages would make a big difference. I would say that 2-4 pages is a typical length for an academic CV for graduate school applications. But it's definitely your choice if you prefer your current format, I'm just saying you shouldn't have to worry about length when it's only 3 pages.

- Absolutely sure about the references section for a CV applying to graduate school.

- Your CV is currently 3 pages and I don't think increasing it to 4 pages would make a big difference. I would say that 2-4 pages is a typical length for an academic CV for graduate school applications. But it's definitely your choice if you prefer your current format, I'm just saying you shouldn't have to worry about length when it's only 3 pages.

Thanks, but are you suggesting that I remove the reference section (If I'm separately providing LORs through my referees), or leave it in ?