Are terminal MA admissions less competitive?

bk76

I'm planning on applying to a few (2-3) terminal MA programs in the Fall in my home state. Has anyone else done this? Are admission cycles more or less competitive when vying for these spots?

I'm obviously not on any admissions committee, but I'd certainly think that an unfunded MA would be less competitive than a funded PhD.

Just think of the difference in what admissions committees would go through:

1. for an unfunded MA: is this person good enough to pay us to teach him for 2 years?

2. for a fully funded PhD: is this person good enough for us to pay him to take classes and conduct research for 5 years?

i know it's more complex than that, but the money flowing in different directions has got to take consideration somewhere down the line.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know what your field is, but I got into one terminal MA program by the skin of my teeth this last time around. (I applied to four total.) If I had it to do again I would have applied to a larger number of programs. There simply aren't all that many terminal MA programs in my field and given that I knew I would be taking out major loans to pay for the degree I didn't think it made sense to apply to anywhere I didn't really want to go. However, if I had it to do over I would have applied to a Canadian university or two as well. (I also belatedly discovered two other excellent programs in the US that I hadn't known existed.) In any case, the point I'm belaboring to make it that I would recommend applying to a larger number of programs if you can afford it. It's rare that terminal MA programs are completely funded, but there is usually some funding available and it would have been nice to have been admitted to two or more schools so that I would have had more leverage when it comes to financial aid. (A friend of mine was successful in doing this, although in this economy I'm sure that's more unusual.)

Also, perhaps you already know this, but with some PhD program applications you can ask to be considered for just their MA program if you are rejected from their PhD program.