MSW International Service/Global Service

michelleg

Hi there,

I'm looking into MSW programs, and am having a tough time finding programs that provide an international focus. Does anyone know of any good ones? There are a few I am aware of, but am having a tough time navigating through the internet on this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

I'm looking into MSW programs, and am having a tough time finding programs that provide an international focus. Does anyone know of any good ones? There are a few I am aware of, but am having a tough time navigating through the internet on this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There aren't too many schools with a concentration specifically international focused that come to mind. Two I can immediately list are Columbia and Monmouth. Have you considered a dual degree between SW and IR?

Edited by FSIA

How wonderful to meet a fellow applicant who's also interested in social work that is internationally focused! For me, my interests lie with doing work with immigrants and refugees and after much research, I've found that Columbia will be the ideal school for me to attend. They have a concentration available on doing work with immigrants and refugees and their international affairs program at SIPA is very strong. If I get into the MSW program, I'm seriously considering doing the dual degree program of MSW/MIA (yes, it'll be plenty expensive!). Plus, being in NYC, I think that it provides the ideal environment for carrying out theory into practice for someone who wants to do international service. After all, the United Nations and plenty other international organizations (both non-profit and government) are located there, which means that there will be more opportunities to do your required field work in a setting that's more closely related to what you want to do. I'm not saying that this is the only and best option, but at least for me, I do feel that pros of attending Columbia help offset the enormous price tag attached.

• 2 weeks later...

How wonderful to meet a fellow applicant who's also interested in social work that is internationally focused! For me, my interests lie with doing work with immigrants and refugees and after much research, I've found that Columbia will be the ideal school for me to attend. They have a concentration available on doing work with immigrants and refugees and their international affairs program at SIPA is very strong. If I get into the MSW program, I'm seriously considering doing the dual degree program of MSW/MIA (yes, it'll be plenty expensive!). Plus, being in NYC, I think that it provides the ideal environment for carrying out theory into practice for someone who wants to do international service. After all, the United Nations and plenty other international organizations (both non-profit and government) are located there, which means that there will be more opportunities to do your required field work in a setting that's more closely related to what you want to do. I'm not saying that this is the only and best option, but at least for me, I do feel that pros of attending Columbia help offset the enormous price tag attached.

I would check out Boston University and Fordham University. Jesuit schools have a huge focus on international service/social justice, and both these schools offer concentrations in Global Social Work, with the possibility of doing your practicum overseas. The other plus is that both of these schools give much more money to deserving (merit and need-based) students than, for example, Columbia (max scholarship is $8,000). You can also look at schools that have significant programming overseas. WashU overs a summer program in China and a winter program in India, and I'm pretty sure University of Washington has some international programs. These are only a few of the options, of course. Good luck!

• 2 years later...

SSA at UChicago recently started an International Social Welfare concentration. It's still developing, but they have a summer study abroad option in India, and there are a lot of opportunities with the Human Rights Department. Some field placements work specifically with refugee populations.

Michigan Girl, would you mind sending me a PM or emailing me? I'd love to get your insight on the scholarship and funding situation for MSW students at Michigan. I think I sent you a message, but I don't think my PM is working properly....