Certificate vs. Masters

sankd

I don't know if this will get answered since this part of the board seems dead, but here goes...

I have a friend with a BA and MA in History from a tier 4 state school. I think that it's a good idea for him to get a MSLS, since he has worked for two years in the University Archives (as a student employee). Anyhow, he seems to think that merely getting a certificate in library sciences will be enough in addition to the degrees he already has. I disagree, saying that if someone with a MSLS applies to the same job he does, they'll get the job over him regardless of other factors.

I should add that this fellow has, in theory, the opportunity to go to Wayne State University and get a MSLS for free (9/11 GI Bill), but instead is moving to North Carolina and says he will get into UNC's program . For a certificate. And paying out of state tuition for the next two admissions cycles at the very least.

Am I wrong?

Well, Wayne State is ALA-certified, so there you go. And in North Carolina, North Carolina Central is ALA-certified. Wayne has a pretty good reputation.

In any case, the guy is an idiot. He's now claiming that this 'degree certificate' from UNC is 15 credits. I almost feel ashamed that he's my friend.