Yale FES 2015 Anybody?

Jojo2015

Thanks all! Yes I want to attend the open house! Profile:

-I went to a small liberal arts college in the US, not an ivy

-about 2 years experience out of undergrad, and internships/reseach while in undergrad. Jobs out of school were at a think tank, a lobbyist firm, and a Cabinet Secretary as an Env anlayst.

-approx. 3.8 GPA

Gre: Q158 V164 W5.5

-lots of independent publications and op eds

- very strong Letters I assume

-a prayer haha :)

More than happy to add more detail of anyone would like!

I received my decision on friday, I was admitted :) super happy. No info on funding yet. Still need all other universities to respond in order to move forward as Fulbright has the final word when all decisions are in. Good luck to everyone!!

@CantHardlyWait - Did you get the mail directly from Yale or from IIE ? I am waiting anxiously for my results too. 

Btw, how come Fulbright has the final decision ?  Can you also share your profile. 

P.S. Tonnes of congratulations.   :)

Edited by purewar23

Hi, guys~

I applied to the MEM program of both Yale FES and Duke Nicholas and I got an interview request from Duke to test my English speaking skills (I'm an international applicant). I scheduled my interview at 12:00 am WST. I thought 12:00 am is noon, which is actually midnight, so I missed my interview ( and stood up the interviewer T.T)

I send an email to apologize and hope to reschedule the interview, not sure she would do that. It's such a stupid mistake and I feel really bad now :( Do you think it will affect my application?

Hi purewar23, Thank you! :)

I received an email from Yale F&ES to check an update on my application and there it was. From what I've seen they release decisions on fridays, so probably there should be some coming up during the day. I know what you mean, I haven't heard from any of my other schools, the wait is driving me crazy. I applied to 5 more and so far just heard from Yale. 

I've heard from Fulbright that they need to wait for all decisions to arrive and then they will help me choose according to my preferences and my scholarship terms. Which I don't fully understand. From what I gather, they seem to have the final word on which university to choose, and former Fulbrighters told me that they choose the program most convenient to them (more expenses shared). Although I don't know if any of this is true, guess we'll find out soon.

Profile:

- Foreign lawyer, studied at a major university from my country and LLM from american university, GPA aprox. 3.6 

- Good work experience, about 6-7 years experience out of undergrad. Jobs out of school were at a law firm in the corporate and energy department, an environmental non-profit which I co-founded, and professor at my alma mater

- Mediocre GRE which makes me think they care more about professional experience than standardised tests. Thank God!

- Publications

- Very strong LORs I assume

- Fulbright scholarship

How about you?

Hey CantHardlyWait, 

Your nickname applies so perfectly to my situation. IIE has applied to 4 schools for me and I have only applied to two impossible schools myself (Harvard and Princeton). Thus, I have had no correspondence from the school directly and I have heard nothing from IIE so far, thus making me super super anxious and stressful. 

My profile. 

- Engineer - mix of chemistry and chemical engineering, from one of the top 10 engineering colleges of my country 

- GPA - 8.2/10 

- Work experience of 3 years : 1 year in different engineering segments - solar cells, oil and gas, nanotechnology research. 2 years in a policy think tank on an environmental project with the ministry of environment of my country. 

- GRE score - 326/340 and 3.5/6 (seems like this AWA score will take me down)

- No publications

- Strong recommendations (I hope)

- Fulbright Scholarship. 

I have no idea what to add to my profile , in case of a rejection. I have sort of given my 100% and the gazillions of negative and positive thoughts while waiting for results are literally killing me. Hope to get some soon. 

Hi, guys~

I applied to the MEM program of both Yale FES and Duke Nicholas and I got an interview request from Duke to test my English speaking skills (I'm an international applicant). I scheduled my interview at 12:00 am WST. I thought 12:00 am is noon, which is actually midnight, so I missed my interview ( and stood up the interviewer T.T)

I send an email to apologize and hope to reschedule the interview, not sure she would do that. It's such a stupid mistake and I feel really bad now :( Do you think it will affect my application?

I suggest you to arrange another interview from the online booking system (there are few spaces left now) and call to the admission office directly ASAP.

ellen_ai, Were you able reschedule Duke interview?

Hi, guys~

Just talked to the Yale F&ES admissions office, and they said that they're planning to send master's decisions on the last day of the first week of March, which I'm guessing means Friday, March 6 (?).

Thanks rilkehayden, 

I am waiting anxiously for F&ES and was accepted to Nicholas last week. Does anyone have opinions on how these two MEM programs stack against each other? 

Thanks rilkehayden, 

I am waiting anxiously for F&ES and was accepted to Nicholas last week. Does anyone have opinions on how these two MEM programs stack against each other? 

Hi dachensky, congrats on your acceptance!! 

I believe you can find some info on both programs here:

Also, you should try to attend both open houses if you can. I am sure that it will make your decision much easier. 

Best of luck!

Hey CantHardlyWait, 

Your nickname applies so perfectly to my situation. IIE has applied to 4 schools for me and I have only applied to two impossible schools myself (Harvard and Princeton). Thus, I have had no correspondence from the school directly and I have heard nothing from IIE so far, thus making me super super anxious and stressful. 

My profile. 

- Engineer - mix of chemistry and chemical engineering, from one of the top 10 engineering colleges of my country 

- GPA - 8.2/10 

- Work experience of 3 years : 1 year in different engineering segments - solar cells, oil and gas, nanotechnology research. 2 years in a policy think tank on an environmental project with the ministry of environment of my country. 

- GRE score - 326/340 and 3.5/6 (seems like this AWA score will take me down)

- No publications

- Strong recommendations (I hope)

- Fulbright Scholarship. 

I have no idea what to add to my profile , in case of a rejection. I have sort of given my 100% and the gazillions of negative and positive thoughts while waiting for results are literally killing me. Hope to get some soon. 

I hope you do get in Purewar23, you have a great profile. Best of luck! No word on any of your universities yet? I've had no news... Can't barely concentrate at work, specially because I haven't heard what is Fulbright's position in all of this which is making me more nervous. I am afraid they will not want to choose my top choice. 

I wish for April 15th to come already, but we are two months away! :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted into Indiana Bloomington SPEA - MSES program and Yale FES MEM program. Supported by Fulbright Funding. Super Happy !! Totally on Cloud9

Congratulations purewar23 :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Conditional acceptance from Duke. 
"The conditions of your admission are that you have not fulfilled two or more prerequisites for your chosen concentration"

I can enrol only if I have one missing prerequisite. 

Said prerequisites are:

Calculus

Statistics

Microeconomics

Going to contest Calculus because did a lot of it during college.

However, not done much regarding the other two. How does one go about filling these gaps. 

I don't want to lose out on this :(

Conditional acceptance from Duke.

"The conditions of your admission are that you have not fulfilled two or more prerequisites for your chosen concentration"

I can enrol only if I have one missing prerequisite.

Said prerequisites are:

Calculus

Statistics

Microeconomics

Going to contest Calculus because did a lot of it during college.

However, not done much regarding the other two. How does one go about filling these gaps.

I don't want to lose out on this :(

Try online summer courses, but has to be for credits and graded.

• 4 weeks later...

I have admits from 

MEM - Duke Nicholas

MESM - UCSB Bren

Master of Science in Environmental Management and Sustainability - IIT Chicago Stuart

MPA - Indiana SPEA

MS Environmental Policy and Sustainability Management - The New School Milano

Any suggestions for what to choose among these?

Although I have confirmed Duke, I'd like to hear if it is a good choice.