IHEID (Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies Geneva) Fall 2015

Grad888

I got into the MIA but all the programmes look pretty great! I've interned with the Asia Pacific Centre for the R2P in Brisbane and with the Global Centre for the R2P in NYC and written some guest blogs on genocide for the Auschwitz Institute. I hope to be doing some more genocide-related internships in Geneva!

Yes I hope I will qualify because since I've lived here for seven years it's not like I can just hop over to Switzerland to have a look at accommodation haha

Wooow... You must have a wonderful CV with all these interns all over the world.  :)

Have you seen on the IHEID's page the opportunities for internships? (on the careers page)

As for the accommodation I believe that, on the GISA page, there are plenty of resources for looking for housing. Have you seen it? 

Hey guys! 

Where did you get info on student accommodation? I only saw one student-house, and like you said AnnaBianca, priority was given to students in regards to distance when your application was sent. What are the other options? What is Picciotto? It also says on the application page that they will be sending out info soon so you can apply for that. It's weird that you are supposed to apply for accommodation before you know whether you've been accepted or not :P

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! <3

Grad888, cool about Australia! I lived in Melbourne one year myself. Great city. 

Edited by justpeace

Hey all. I got in (early admission) for the MDev program. From what I heard, they should send info on student housing sometime this week. I will definitely try Picciotto (currently living in South America - that might help) but scholarship decisions will be key before making any decisions.

@justpeace, try the mygisa page! Under the voice "Finding accommodation" there is all you need to know...  :)

As for the request for accommodation @cocteautwin, I believe that during the last online session of December they mentioned something about sending the invitation to apply for accommodation only after one has been admitted, in order to avoid confusion.

We will see, because in the last years they were sending these emails on the 29-30 of January...so here we are!  :D

Hey guys! I didn't know the Student House's name was Picciotto haha. I just looked at this link http://graduateinstitute.ch/home/admissions/application/application-for-accommodation.html

At the bottom it says that newly admitted students will receive a form to apply for accommodation march 25th. So I guess the info expected before in january has been post-poned, which is good because I don't wanna go through any more processes in case my application gets rejected.

You're right, they've changed the timeline for housing this year (which does make sense, after all).

How do you all feel about the program? I am almost certain of attending and it was my top choice, mainly because of the Geneva location. 

Did anyone else get the link to apply for the Student House? I just applied and the email said we'd be notified of the outcome on 28th of February and if offered a place would have to pay the deposit by 15th of March. It also mentioned that 'a “first come, first served” rule will be applied'..

I did a M.A. in IR/PS from 2012 to 2014, and can thus answer some questions. I don't know if any current students are on here, though, they would probably have more up-to-date info! Also you guys can check out last year's thread, where I and some other students also answered some Qs.

hey, anyone got a link to the online follow up section? having some trouble accessing the page :(

Hey Wanja, not sure if that's what your problem is, but I've found that I can only access the application and follow-up page through Firefox.

I did a M.A. in IR/PS from 2012 to 2014, and can thus answer some questions. I don't know if any current students are on here, though, they would probably have more up-to-date info! Also you guys can check out last year's thread, where I and some other students also answered some Qs.

Hi IRToni, thanks for the offer! What were your favourite subjects/lecturers at IHEID? What do you think of the Student House? How many days a week would you actually go to class? And what are most people who studied with doing now? Thank for your time! :)

Hello everyone,

I was admitted early decision to the Masters in International Economics back in December, and I waited about 45 minutes to accept so I hope to meet you all in Geneva this coming fall.

I had applied to the same program last year but was waitlisted initially, so I'm currently attending Trinity College in Dublin for an MSc in Political Science. I couldn't resist enrolling in a second masters program once IHEID admitted me, it's the perfect school for what I'm interested in doing. Anyway, since I went through the process with IHEID last year as well, let me know if you've got any questions and I'll try to help if I can. This is the link to the forum for last year's admissions round that I followed (it's for a few different programs/schools, but there's quite a bit of useful discussion focused on the various programs at IHEID): 

Hope some of the discussion there can be useful to you, especially when it comes to decision time. My best wishes to you and all the luck in the world to those of you who are still waiting to hear back.

Hi IRToni, thanks for the offer! What were your favourite subjects/lecturers at IHEID? What do you think of the Student House? How many days a week would you actually go to class? And what are most people who studied with doing now? Thank for your time! :)

My favorite classes were those most in line with my research interests :rolleyes:. There are some terrific professors at IHEID, and because I was in a disciplinary program, none of my classes ever had more than 25 people in them. If you're doing interdisciplinary, your classes might be much larger.

The student house is pretty great, if you can afford it, and don't mind the uniformity of it. Although its apartments are not dorm-style, it's kind of like a dorm in that there's always something going on, we've had problems with the administration regarding parties etc. It can be fun to see the MontBlanc and the lake from your window, but there's pros and cons.

I'd usually go 3-4 days a week to class, though some people were able to cut that down to 2-3 days. However, I didn't have a huge commute, and wanted to take the classes most interesting to me. Since uni was also a social place, it was also good to get together with my classmates on these days and talk over some stuff.

I haven't followed everyone's career paths closely, but I would say many of us have now found some kind of job. Originally, there were quite a lot of people doing internships (mostly paid, at least from what I've heard), and many of them were able to turn them into jobs(or a consultancy at the UN...). I know of some people in consulting or finance, though many are also doing IR-related stuff. Obviously quite a few of us are also doing a PhD now.

Hello everyone,

I was admitted early decision to the Masters in International Economics back in December, and I waited about 45 minutes to accept so I hope to meet you all in Geneva this coming fall.

I had applied to the same program last year but was waitlisted initially, so I'm currently attending Trinity College in Dublin for an MSc in Political Science. I couldn't resist enrolling in a second masters program once IHEID admitted me, it's the perfect school for what I'm interested in doing. Anyway, since I went through the process with IHEID last year as well, let me know if you've got any questions and I'll try to help if I can. This is the link to the forum for last year's admissions round that I followed (it's for a few different programs/schools, but there's quite a bit of useful discussion focused on the various programs at IHEID): 

Hope some of the discussion there can be useful to you, especially when it comes to decision time. My best wishes to you and all the luck in the world to those of you who are still waiting to hear back.

Congrats!! Did you apply for the student house when they sent the link the other day?

My favorite classes were those most in line with my research interests :rolleyes:. There are some terrific professors at IHEID, and because I was in a disciplinary program, none of my classes ever had more than 25 people in them. If you're doing interdisciplinary, your classes might be much larger.

The student house is pretty great, if you can afford it, and don't mind the uniformity of it. Although its apartments are not dorm-style, it's kind of like a dorm in that there's always something going on, we've had problems with the administration regarding parties etc. It can be fun to see the MontBlanc and the lake from your window, but there's pros and cons.

I'd usually go 3-4 days a week to class, though some people were able to cut that down to 2-3 days. However, I didn't have a huge commute, and wanted to take the classes most interesting to me. Since uni was also a social place, it was also good to get together with my classmates on these days and talk over some stuff.

I haven't followed everyone's career paths closely, but I would say many of us have now found some kind of job. Originally, there were quite a lot of people doing internships (mostly paid, at least from what I've heard), and many of them were able to turn them into jobs(or a consultancy at the UN...). I know of some people in consulting or finance, though many are also doing IR-related stuff. Obviously quite a few of us are also doing a PhD now.

Thank you for your reply! :)

i applied to IHEID to for MIA but just got one week ago an offer from LSE for MPA. What are the benefits going to IHEID compared to LSE. 

:-) don't know what to do now

It seems to me like the two programmes are quite different? So it would depend on what you want to get out of your masters and do afterwards I'd say. I turned down an Msc Conflict Studies at LSE in favour of IHEID because IHEID seems to help you get jobs and also the location is amazing! A friend of mine who went to LSE said that I'd definitely made the right decision. Bt it all depends on you I'd say :)

Hey javalava2212, yes I applied for a couple's apartment. I know, so good, but I wish I knew already haha Where are you from? I wonder if they'll still assess us on distance, academics and scholarship application since they said it's a 'first come first served' thing..? So many questions! :)

Hey javalava2212, yes I applied for a couple's apartment. I know, so good, but I wish I knew already haha Where are you from? I wonder if they'll still assess us on distance, academics and scholarship application since they said it's a 'first come first served' thing..? So many questions!  :)

Yes I wish we knew already too, would make things easier. I'm originally from Hawaii, though since I'm living in Ireland at the moment I suspect that is the address they will use to assess how much I need student housing, which isn't great but oh well  :rolleyes:

I'm confused on that as well, since all of the housing information on the website says there is a selection process based on those criteria you mentioned, but that email clearly says it's first come first serve. I (rather selfishly) hope its the later of the two, but its anyones guess at this point. It is great they offer couple's apartments as an option for you! Have they given you any indication on the availability?

Also, I see you are originally from Switzerland? Where exactly? I spent three years living in Lugano  :) I couldn't be more excited to move back!

I fee like emailing them to ask when we'd know.. haha So impatient!! Oh wow, Hawaii!!! Very jealous.. :) I haven't heard much about the student house really. I once spoke to a girl who lives there very briefly and she just said that it's a really good deal (the couple's apartment) and really nice.. So fingers crossed!

Yes, I'm originally from a tiny town between Fribourg and Bern. It feels weird to move 'back' since I have lived in Australia pretty much my whole adult life. Wow, Lugano is beautiful! What were you doing there?

Hello everyone!

I have applied for the fall and am just wondering if those that applied during early admission all found out on the same date or how quickly you all were admitted. I'm just trying to see if there is any hope I could find out before March 15th  ^_^  So anyone that has gotten into the program already would you mind sharing the dates you received your admittance notice?? :) Thank you!