Question about admissions essay

stevn7

So I'm about to start writing some admissions essays (very last minute, I know..) and I was wondering: do people usually give their essay a title? Do you at least write "personal statement" on the top? or do you just skip the title completely and get right into the actual essay?

I know it's a minor detail but none of the advice articles I've read say anything about this and I just want to be sure before I submit an essay.

No title is necessary. I always put my name and the name of the document ("statement of purpose" in this case) in the header and "page X of Y" in the footer. However, I hear that these days a lot of applications ask you not to put anything in the header/footer as the application adds this information to the documents you upload automatically, so I'd watch out for that.

Well, I put a header with my name, the program I'm applying to, and what it was (e.g. SOP). No program asked me not to, although a couple insisted on at least 1" top margin, perhaps to print this information. Several did ask me to include this.

In the top left of the body of the document (so I intended it to be a header even though not in the actual "header" of the document), I included: 

Name

Name of School

Name of Program

Fall 2015

I skipped a line after that and jumped right into my essay.