Rare books or archives

Hello everyone!

As you can probably infer from my user-name, I'm a Religious Studies major at the University of Wyoming. I have an interest in rare books and manuscripts (as well as traditional bookbinding) and currently volunteer at UW's rare book library. I've been looking at MLIS programs for quite some time and have narrowed my choices down to three: Simmons College, Indiana University-Bloomington, and Illinois Urbana-Champaign. While the latter two schools both have rare book and special collections concentrations, Simmons does not; though it does have a well-regarded archives program. While IU and U of I seem like the most logical choices given my interest in rare books, Simmons is in the same city as the North Bennet Street School, which offers a ton of workshops in book binding and book/paper conservation that I could take in my free time. I have also thought about attending North Bennet Street School full-time after getting an MLIS as I'd like to have the option to go into book binding or conservation as well as librarianship. Can anyone offer any insight into the MLIS programs at these schools? I'll be an out-of-state student, so costs are relatively comparable. And while the cost of living is highest in Boston, it would probably even out if I decide to attend the NBSS afterward (moving is expensive). If I want to be employable in rare books librarianship (in some form), would it be better to go to IU or U of I and specialize in the field? Or, would I be better off specializing in archives at Simmons while taking courses at NBSS and possibly interning and getting hands on experience with rare books? I could also potentially take a few courses at the Rare Book School over the summer. They hold courses in D.C. and N.Y., both of which are closer to Boston. Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by UwyoReligiousStudies

To be honest I have seen little evidence of the "name brand" of school really making a difference in an application unless its a very unique program that not many have heard of or if you get a degree from an institution that is not accredited. I think U of I and IU probably have comprable recognition when your resume is being looked at so I think either would be ok for rare books. Also, the same professor used to teach courses on Rare Books at BOTH U of I and IU and still might (unless he has moved or retired), so experiences there would be comprabale. More importantly, my advice is keep getting experience with rare books through volunteer work, full/part-time work, and writing articles. You can get your foot in the door with enough experience but if you want to keep moving up you may need to contribute to the academic side of the field a lot more through getting published in journals, etc. Also, from what I have seen the people who work in conservation typically have chemistry backgrounds so if you really want to get involved as a conservationist consider taking some chemistry courses as well. Maybe even a lot of chemistry courses...if you are interested in certain types of jobs like conservationist, archivist, rare book librarian, etc. I suggest you go out and Google people who are in those positions NOW and see what roles they had beforehand and what their educational background is and kind of use that as a guide.

Also, one final note - rare books and archives can be difficult to get into as careers. Many institutions with rare books have positions that people stay in for very long periods of time so new positions rarely open up which makes both getting started and then advancing difficult even with an MLIS, a specialization within the MLIS, and a couple years of experience. I have been thorugh this. I encourage you to continue getting as much experience as you can and BUILD RELATIONSHIPS with any institution you may already be affiliated with because that can make future applications stand out if people already know who you are and know you do good work. There are many, many people out there applying for library jobs so if you can get to know your desired department personally and build a good rapport that will be a huge help. If you give it your best shot and things still aren't working out just remember there is no shame in switching careers or doing work that isn't related to your degree(s) - you can still be involved with libraries by serving on a library's board, collecting and donating rare books, writing articles, etc. even if your career path ends up taking a different turn.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

I've been thinking of forgoing the MLIS degree altogether and focusing on NBSS and possibly a masters in conservation afterward. NBSS seems to have a pretty good rapport with West Dean College in the UK; quite a few NBSS students have entered their one year conservation MA program. However, I'm afraid he absence of a MLIS degree will hinder me in the long run... Any thoughts? To be honest, I really don't have any desire to be a traditional librarian. 

• 7 months later...

I'm in my first year at UIUC and have several friends with graduate assistantships (funding AND experience? Yes. It's real) in the Rare Books and Manuscripts Library as well as in the preservation labs and university archives. The program here is nice because there are only 2 required courses, both of them with broad focus, and after that you can tailor everything to your specific interest (and avoid traditional librarianship). If you're interested in rare books, you can focus on rare books--I think you can even get an additional certificate in it. The faculty are extremely encouraging and have been huge in setting up practica/networking opportunities for me as well as for my friends in preservation/conservation. I would say that if you can get an assistantship here in your area, it's worth it. Good luck and happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in my first year at UIUC and have several friends with graduate assistantships (funding AND experience? Yes. It's real) in the Rare Books and Manuscripts Library as well as in the preservation labs and university archives. The program here is nice because there are only 2 required courses, both of them with broad focus, and after that you can tailor everything to your specific interest (and avoid traditional librarianship). If you're interested in rare books, you can focus on rare books--I think you can even get an additional certificate in it. The faculty are extremely encouraging and have been huge in setting up practica/networking opportunities for me as well as for my friends in preservation/conservation. I would say that if you can get an assistantship here in your area, it's worth it. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks for responding, Anna. I am having difficulty choosing between the program at Indiana and UIUC. Funding is a huge concern for me (I have more than enough debt from undergrad study), and after much research it seems that UIUC has the edge in that respect. Right now, I'm grappling with the prospect of getting an MA in Religious Studies before my MLIS in order to increase my probability of landing a decent job in the area I want. Ugh...