PhD in Health Policy/Health Services 2015

kng229

Hello all,

I've applied to my schools, so now the waiting period begins.  What schools have you applied to?  When have you heard back on interviews or acceptances?  Please post when you hear updates!

I've applied to the economics tracks at:

Harvard

Boston University

And then 3 straight economics programs.

Good luck with that. I haven't applied, the earliest I can apply is the fall of 2016 for a PhD in Health Policy/Services. Unless something dramatic happens, i'm applying to the following places:

1. Yale

2. JHP

3. UMich

4. UCLA/Berlkely

5. Washington U.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Good luck with that. I haven't applied, the earliest I can apply is the fall of 2016 for a PhD in Health Policy/Services. Unless something dramatic happens, i'm applying to the following places:

1. Yale

2. JHP

3. UMich

4. UCLA/Berlkely

5. Washington U.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Good luck to you as well!  I was accepted to the Berkeley program last year, but ended up declining so that my wife could pursue a PhD program here in Boston.  So this is my 2nd time around, but limited to Boston-area schools this time.

Good to see this thread.

Applied:

Harvard

Emory

BU

Wanted to apply to Yale (cause of some org behavior folks), but sounded like they may not take anyone this year. Also weird how they don't consider any self-funding.

Good to see this thread.

Applied:

Harvard

Emory

BU

Wanted to apply to Yale (cause of some org behavior folks), but sounded like they may not take anyone this year. Also weird how they don't consider any self-funding.

- I thought that the non-self funding is one of the positives of the doctoral programs there? I never thought that it could be a negative?

- Please, share your experience applying to Emory? I might consider it when I do turn in my application. I ask this question, because as you might have heard elsewhere, some admission committees/schools etc, they are uncooperative with applicants.

Good luck to you as well!  I was accepted to the Berkeley program last year, but ended up declining so that my wife could pursue a PhD program here in Boston.  So this is my 2nd time around, but limited to Boston-area schools this time.

A shame that you can't accept offers from schools across the country. Berkley is great, I would have 'gobbled up" the offer in one second, even it meant leaving my grandma alone here in Juneau, Alaska!

I, too, have applied and am waiting to hear back from my schools. So far, no word on interviews 

JHU

Harvard

Yale

Michigan

Berkeley

Good luck! I hope you share with us your experiences applying to JHU, Yale and Michigan. Since you have already done in-depth research....is funding ok at JHU for the health policy/services program? The minimal research I have done, suggests they expect candidates to pay out of pocket for some fees of the program(s). Funding is a huge factor in my decision when it comes to accepting offers...or even turning in applications. I mean, even if a school has the best program in the world...if they are gonna make me take up loans to fund the education, I would probably not apply to the said school.

- I thought that the non-self funding is one of the positives of the doctoral programs there? I never thought that it could be a negative?

- Please, share your experience applying to Emory? I might consider it when I do turn in my application. I ask this question, because as you might have heard elsewhere, some admission committees/schools etc, they are uncooperative with applicants.

Well, I consider it a negative because it limits their pool of accepted. Where you have JHSPH bring in a cohort size and then distribute funding, the program head at Yale told me that it is in fact the opposite; determine the level of funding and then define size of cohort. I consider this a negative because my job would provide a good deal of the funding.

As for Emory, it is a very small program and quite unorganized. I thought that the professors were very receptive. However, from an application perspective, this is managed through the Laney grad school And they oversee a multitude of degrees. But then again, they are basically the admin side. It was not the best fit out of my programs, but I really would like to be beside the CDC and Emory Healthcare.

A shame that you can't accept offers from schools across the country. Berkley is great, I would have 'gobbled up" the offer in one second, even it meant leaving my grandma alone here in Juneau, Alaska!

Agreed! They're doing some research I'm very interested in and the faculty I met with were wonderful. Alas, being on opposite ends of the country for 5 years is too long for my marriage! :)

BU contacted me this week about interviews. No word from other schools yet

Good luck! I hope you share with us your experiences applying to JHU, Yale and Michigan. Since you have already done in-depth research....is funding ok at JHU for the health policy/services program? The minimal research I have done, suggests they expect candidates to pay out of pocket for some fees of the program(s). Funding is a huge factor in my decision when it comes to accepting offers...or even turning in applications. I mean, even if a school has the best program in the world...if they are gonna make me take up loans to fund the education, I would probably not apply to the said school.

I spoke with JHU last year and if I recall correctly they fully funded everyone. Even if its not guaranteed for the entire duration in your award.. the program director said that in reality everyone gets funded.

A number of programs said similar things. It seems many expect you to TRY and get external funding, but will cover you if you try and don't succeed.

Hi, everyone.

I applied to five schools:

Emory

Harvard

Northwestern

U of Rochester

Brown

I haven't heard from any of them yet. I'm an international applicant and maybe it was a long shot... Fingers crossed, though!

Hi all! I'm also glad to have found this thread. I applied to five schools: Pitt, Boston, Michigan, Brown, and Hopkins. I applied for the sociological cognate in both the Brown and Michigan programs.

I received word yesterday that I had been accepted at Pitt-even before doing an on-site visit this week! (Excited to get that first offer in) I also have an interview with BU this week as many of you do.

Good luck to you all! And maybe we will be working together as cohort members this upcoming fall!

Hi all! I'm also glad to have found this thread. I applied to five schools: Pitt, Boston, Michigan, Brown, and Hopkins. I applied for the sociological cognate in both the Brown and Michigan programs.

I received word yesterday that I had been accepted at Pitt-even before doing an on-site visit this week! (Excited to get that first offer in) I also have an interview with BU this week as many of you do.

Good luck to you all! And maybe we will be working together as cohort members this upcoming fall!

Congruts on the admit! Good luck with the interview at BU!

Hi, everyone.

I applied to five schools:

Emory

Harvard

Northwestern

U of Rochester

Brown

I haven't heard from any of them yet. I'm an international applicant and maybe it was a long shot... Fingers crossed, though!

I don't think that it's a long short. I mean, the main concern for international students is funding...but that is not an issue at the PhD level since typically funding for phd programs are merit based and administed by the school involved. I used to be an international student

My point is that, as long as you have sweet GREs, sweet GPA, sweet recommendations, sweet SOP, sweet that, sweet this, you have the same chance of getting in as everyone else. Actually, delete that. Your probability of getting in is actually higher, schools/departments love international kids, you know to increase diversity etc?

So, relax and wait for the admission committees to make their moves... Declare your place a panic-free zone!

I spoke with JHU last year and if I recall correctly they fully funded everyone. Even if its not guaranteed for the entire duration in your award.. the program director said that in reality everyone gets funded.

A number of programs said similar things. It seems many expect you to TRY and get external funding, but will cover you if you try and don't succeed.

That is sweet news. Thanks for clarying that. I'm sure I will come across more details on the funding topic as my school research activities reach their peak later this year..., since theoretically the application deadline for most programs is Dec 1.

Well, I consider it a negative because it limits their pool of accepted. Where you have JHSPH bring in a cohort size and then distribute funding, the program head at Yale told me that it is in fact the opposite; determine the level of funding and then define size of cohort. I consider this a negative because my job would provide a good deal of the funding.

As for Emory, it is a very small program and quite unorganized. I thought that the professors were very receptive. However, from an application perspective, this is managed through the Laney grad school And they oversee a multitude of degrees. But then again, they are basically the admin side. It was not the best fit out of my programs, but I really would like to be beside the CDC and Emory Healthcare.

The CDC is a huge selling point for me. The disorganization is the defining character of small programs. I guess, that is not a huge negative, I like to think I do well when the chaos factor is involved :).

I don't think that it's a long short. I mean, the main concern for international students is funding...but that is not an issue at the PhD level since typically funding for phd programs are merit based and administed by the school involved. I used to be an international student

My point is that, as long as you have sweet GREs, sweet GPA, sweet recommendations, sweet SOP, sweet that, sweet this, you have the same chance of getting in as everyone else. Actually, delete that. Your probability of getting in is actually higher, schools/departments love international kids, you know to increase diversity etc?

So, relax and wait for the admission committees to make their moves... Declare your place a panic-free zone!

Thanks! Yeah, that's true, they do want to increase diversity and that should help. My GRE, GPA, etc. are above average. I feel like the biggest problem with my background is that I haven't actually been able to get affiliated with any research institution because I've been living abroad in several countries doing all sorts of things, so I haven't done a lot of healthcare research besides my Master's dissertation. Thanks for the words of encouragement and I hope everything works out great for you, too!.. :)

So far, I've had pretty good experience with Emory. I e-mailed them with some questions and they arranged an interview/consultation with the head of the program and he was very helpful!

So far, I've had pretty good experience with Emory. I e-mailed them with some questions and they arranged an interview/consultation with the head of the program and he was very helpful!

Oh yeah, the faculty side, and other elements from Rollins, have been great. It's the admin side from the grad school, which is Laney, that are hard to communicate with.

I applied to a quite a number of schools this year (and burned a lot of my savings lol). So far I've been accepted to Minnesota (Health Economics concentration) and I've been invited to interview at Emory and Brown. 

I was just wondering if the economics concentration at Emory is still being offered. The program says that students take economics and econometrics subjects at the economics department. However, if you look at the latter they haven't accepted any PhD Economics students in over 2 years. So if Emory is closing down their PhD conomics program, what happens to the economics concentration of HSR?

• 2 weeks later...

Been pretty quiet. Anyone have any updates on interviews or decisions?

I had an informal chat with JHU a few weeks ago and they said decisions should be out in the next week or so (3-4 weeks from the week of the 12th).

Been pretty quiet. Anyone have any updates on interviews or decisions?

I had an informal chat with JHU a few weeks ago and they said decisions should be out in the next week or so (3-4 weeks from the week of the 12th).

I have not heard from any more schools.  After my phone interview with Boston University last week, they mentioned that they were going to be conducting a few more early this week.  I am assuming that means invitations for on-site interviews will be going out soon.  Seems like we can expect more news next week from what I have seen while perusing the past years' entries on the results page.  

**Actually just received the invitation for BU onsite interview 

Edited by cll5095