PhD in Health Policy/Health Services 2015

kng229

Thanks, bashkir and ticktock!  I actually just accepted an offer at University of Pittsburgh.  I had a great offer from my POI and lots of research being done around my interests.  I couldn't pass it up!

I'm anxious and excited to hear where you all end up!

I have not heard from any more schools.  After my phone interview with Boston University last week, they mentioned that they were going to be conducting a few more early this week.  I am assuming that means invitations for on-site interviews will be going out soon.  Seems like we can expect more news next week from what I have seen while perusing the past years' entries on the results page.  

**Actually just received the invitation for BU onsite interview 

Ditto, just got an onsite invite from BU.  I'll be out of town that week though, so I'm going to meet with them separately since I'm local.  Haven't heard from anyone else yet!

I also got the onsite invite from BU, and while I'm pleased I'm a little disappointed because during my interview they described this as more of an admissions day where you talk to professors to figure out funding, and that we'd actually have an admissions offer at this point. I also won't be able to make it to the day of, so I'll be speaking with a few faculty earlier in the week.

I haven't heard from my remaining schools (Wharton, Harvard, and NYU Wagner), but I did notice that Wharton sent out a batch of interview invitations last week. Considering the average GRE quant score for the PhD programs there is a 797, I didn't have high hopes for being one of the top contenders there...

Best of luck to everyone else, and hopefully I'll see some of you at the Brown recruitment day next week! 

Anyone know if Harvard sent out interview invites yet? It seems like from previous years that they normally went out end of January. I can't imagine that if they did go out, they all went out to folks who don't use GradCafe. It's been deadly silent...

I'm so excited I found this thread! I was invited for an on site interview for Harvard's PhD in Health Policy program. I applied to NYU, Yale, U of Chicago as well but I haven't heard back yet. Is anyone familiar with how competitive the interviews are? This is my dream program and I'm curious what my chances are after being invited for an interview.

I'm so excited I found this thread! I was invited for an on site interview for Harvard's PhD in Health Policy program. I applied to NYU, Yale, U of Chicago as well but I haven't heard back yet. Is anyone familiar with how competitive the interviews are? This is my dream program and I'm curious what my chances are after being invited for an interview.

Congrats!  What concentration did you apply to?  In my interviews with 3 schools (BU, Penn, Harvard), and generally they seemed to have about 2x as many people as they planned to accept.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats!  What concentration did you apply to?  In my interviews with 3 schools (BU, Penn, Harvard), and generally they seemed to have about 2x as many people as they planned to accept.

Meant to say Berkeley in this earlier post.  Just got an on-site interview request for Harvard next week!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with that. I haven't applied, the earliest I can apply is the fall of 2016 for a PhD in Health Policy/Services. Unless something dramatic happens, i'm applying to the following places:

1. Yale

2. JHP

3. UMich

4. UCLA/Berlkely

5. Washington U.

Good luck and keep us updated.

FYI, I didn't chat with the others, but Dr. Bradley Herring at JHU & Dr. Ann Keller at Berkeley were wonderful - I was very impressed both with them and their programs.  

Has anyone who interviewed at Brown for Health Services Research heard anything? Either good news or bad news? I haven't heard a peep since February 9th and am getting curious! Thanks!

From my experience last year, you may be on their waitlist. They made me an offer on April 15. However, I'd already accepted at Minnesota - and Brown would most likely not have changed things. From what I heard last year, they only accept 4 students a year, and then invited 10 of us to interview day. So you may be a strong candidate, but they're waiting to hear from their initial 4 picks (who will probably accept or decline on the 15th). Make of that what you will.

FYI, that's why I sent in my acceptance to UMN and my declines to the other programs early.

PS, if you are in Brown's top 10, you really have nothing to be ashamed of. Too bad they don't have enough space to accommodate your brilliance this year.

Edited by weiwentg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI, that's why I sent in my acceptance to UMN and my declines to the other programs early.

I accepted my UMN of offer on Friday!  See you there this fall weiwentg!

Congrats on everyone's acceptance.  Will everyone have to spend at least 4 years pursuing his/her PhD?

I would LOVE to get out of there in three...but I think AT LEAST four is more realistic. 

Congrats on everyone's acceptance.  Will everyone have to spend at least 4 years pursuing his/her PhD?

Everywhere I applied, 5 was usually the norm.  Some 4, some 6, but most students took 5.

• 2 months later...