Preparing for Interviews

PsychedaboutPsych

Hi everyone!

I'm still waiting to hear about interviews for Clinical PhD programs, but I'm wondering if I should start preparing for interviews by compiling questions and information about specific schools.  I feel like it would be a waste of time to prepare for an interview at a school you may not actually get one for.  How far in advance will I be notified about an interview? Will it be enough time to prepare?

You should have at least 3-4 weeks to prepare for a specific school so I would hold off on that until you hear so you can be more focused in that effort. In the meantime you can prep for general questions as to your research, educational background, future goals, strengths and weaknesses, etc. think of a few questions that you want to ask all programs and then a few program specific again when the time comes. It's tough to be limbo, I am anxiously awaiting as well for Clinical Psych updates but you have some time. Definitely practice your answers not so they are memorized but feel comfortable putting it together. Good luck - hopefully you will be invited to all your schools and survive the cram :)

I'm caught up in waiting, too, and I've started to wonder if I should put together information about programs and POI's research. I don't think invites are extended last minute so there should be time.

What about brief phone interviews for POIs that conduct them? Should I know all about a POI's research/have questions prepared if the phone rings one day, or will there be warning? It's been a while since I looked them all up and the details are starting to escape me.

I would be prepared. Another way to go about it is to not answer your phone from unknown phone numbers, since my experience was that POIs leave a voicemail. That way you know who to prepare for before calling them back...

I'm glad you said that. I was worried it was just little old introverted me that was worried about answering and would let it roll to voicemail. Talk about having to be on the spot right away.

The fact that I avoided telemarketers instead was just a happy coincidence.

Thank you everyone! This has been very helpful.  I'm glad I didn't start preparing information for specific professors because I received a rejection this week and would've wasted time preparing information for that school.  In the meantime, I will prepare myself so that I'm ready to answer the more general questions and perhaps have some more general questions prepared for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be prepared. Another way to go about it is to not answer your phone from unknown phone numbers, since my experience was that POIs leave a voicemail. That way you know who to prepare for before calling them back...

I actually had this specifically mentioned by a POI!