Applying for grad school without publication history....

Wasman

Hi guys! I'm an international applicant who will be graduating soon with a B.Sc. degree in Biotechnology, so the prospect of apply abroad for graduate studies has been in my mind for quite sometime. But I have doubts on the quality of the application that I will be sending out.

My main cause of concern is my lack of research experience in my field of study. Research opportunities in my country are hard to come by and normally those that are available prefer students who have already graduated with at least an undergraduate degree. However, I did an internship at an industrial B.tech laboratory as part of a course and currently working on my thesis project. Added to the expected graduating gpa of 3.4-3.5, would this be enough to put forward a solid application for any research oriented graduate programs (excluding the SOP and test scores)???

Isn't research publications more of a major PHD criteria than Masters Degree criteria? Like you, I haven't published anything and I come a suburban undergrad university that did not give me any opportunity to publicize anythng. However, I have done research projects and specialized research within my fields of interest (non-publicized). Again, it all depends on the progam. But, I don't think you will be severely penalized for not publicizing anything especially coming straight out of undergrad.

You're status as being an international student, having a good gpa, and doing an internship+ thesis project should make you eligibile for some program out there.

At least where I'm studying we don't expect incoming students to have publications to their name, although it certainly helps. That said, research experience is essential (industry is just as good as academia).

Isn't research publications more of a major PHD criteria than Masters Degree criteria?

I was assuming this is for a PhD, as it's pretty common for people in biology to go from a bachelors to a doctorate. My program doesn't take applications to its masters, it is only given out if a PhD student leaves prior to completing a doctorate.

At least where I'm studying we don't expect incoming students to have publications to their name, although it certainly helps. That said, research experience is essential (industry is just as good as academia).

So, to clarify what you're saying, the internship and the thesis may be counted as research experience themselves? Or do I need to get some additional experience after I graduate? My target is to apply for Spring '16 programs, so i presume i might have time to utilize after graduation.

I was assuming this is for a PhD, as it's pretty common for people in biology to go from a bachelors to a doctorate. My program doesn't take applications to its masters, it is only given out if a PhD student leaves prior to completing a doctorate.

I've noticed some institutions do offer masters degree programs when it comes to Biomedical sciences (one of the fields I plan on applying to). Other than the differences in completion time, scope of research/study and other criteria, is there any distinct difference between a Masters degree and a PhD in biology based fields, especially in the context of jobs besides teaching? 

So, to clarify what you're saying, the internship and the thesis may be counted as research experience themselves? Or do I need to get some additional experience after I graduate? My target is to apply for Spring '16 programs, so i presume i might have time to utilize after graduation.

As long as you're actually doing some form of research during it, yes, it counts. Also, very few US grad schools admit in the spring.

I've noticed some institutions do offer masters degree programs when it comes to Biomedical sciences (one of the fields I plan on applying to). Other than the differences in completion time, scope of research/study and other criteria, is there any distinct difference between a Masters degree and a PhD in biology based fields, especially in the context of jobs besides teaching?

A MS is a lower degree and is treated like one. PhDs are paid more and given more demanding responsibilities. To simplify, a PhD is to a MS what a MS is to a BS.

Thanks for your insight Vene  :) 

One last question.... If I'm doing a PhD in a life sciences field, will it allow me any degree of flexibility i.e. will I be able to pursue a second degree in something like business or law maybe? 

I've worked with PhD chemists with MBAs and I know of PhD scientists who do work on patents (note sure if a law degree is required or desirable). So, I think it is a feasible outcome if you want a specific type of career. But, don't do it for the sake of collecting degrees.