BME Applicants!

ChineseAmigo

I applied to a lot of schools and only heard back from 1 BME program so far (and 1 chem & bio eng program). I definitely think it's a late year, judging from how slowly the results are getting updated. I know we're only halfway through January but I feel like I've been waiting for a decade! D:

I don't have a fancy footnote thing like you guys do, but I've applied to 8, gotten 3 outright offers (Georgia Tech, Purdue, and Illinois Institute of Technology), 2 interview invitations (Vanderbilt, Northwestern), and 3 no-shows (Michigan, MIT, and Columbia). 

I definitely feel lucky to have heard back so early and had so much success so far, but I don't think anyone should get discouraged. I feel like this site creates stupidly unrealistic expectations at times and it's full of people just looking to brag. My stats were not totally out of this world and I haven't published anything. Everyone is gonna be OK. 

I definitely feel lucky to have heard back so early and had so much success so far, but I don't think anyone should get discouraged. I feel like this site creates stupidly unrealistic expectations at times and it's full of people just looking to brag. My stats were not totally out of this world and I haven't published anything. Everyone is gonna be OK. 

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am on the same boat; my stats are not something extraordinary and I haven't had amazing research experience. However, the fact that I apply to some prestigious school makes me worry! There is so many talented people out there. Damn, I miss undergrad; it was so easy to get into the program you like .

ZZ777 when did you hear back from MIT? Looking through Gradcafe webpage, I saw some invitations for MIT already! But I haven't heard back from them :(

It was on the webpage for BME application. They didn't send me any email but there is a notification on my webpage.

I see a lot of people heard from MIT and UCBerkeley/UCSF on the results search .. do you think no response means rejection?

Well judging from the previous results of UCB/UCSF, it seems they tend to send out interview invites on the same day and rejections about a week later, also all on the same day. So, when I didn't get an invite I took that as a rejection, just waiting for the official notice.  :(

But I don't think you should give up before you know for sure! They could be doing things differently this year, or maybe they did it in waves last year and only people from the first big wave posted. You never know.

On 1/21/2015 at 10:52 PM, mrobez said:

I don't have a fancy footnote thing like you guys do, but I've applied to 8, gotten 3 outright offers (Georgia Tech, Purdue, and Illinois Institute of Technology), 2 interview invitations (Vanderbilt, Northwestern), and 3 no-shows (Michigan, MIT, and Columbia). 

@mrobez: For Northwestern, what concentration did you apply for?  

I know, this year the notifications are getting pretty late.  I sent an email to UCSD like 2 weeks ago and I got a computer generated message saying that interviews are required for admittance to BioE and should be sent out the week of 1/19, but there are like only 2 notifications from the results page and my friend who went to UCSD nano engineering for undergrad say that things are usually delayed a bit in UCSD so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Heard WashU will be reviewing stuff soon!  Hope to hear from them soon *crosses fingers again*

@ZZ777: yeah, I'm checking my biological engineering grad application and don't see anything, is that where you checked?

@mrobez: For Northwestern, what concentration did you apply for?  

Tissue engineering was my top choice, I think biomaterials and biomechanics after that. 

On 1/25/2015 at 4:02 PM, Dubblebubble898 said:

I know, this year the notifications are getting pretty late.  I sent an email to UCSD like 2 weeks ago and I got a computer generated message saying that interviews are required for admittance to BioE and should be sent out the week of 1/19, but there are like only 2 notifications from the results page and my friend who went to UCSD nano engineering for undergrad say that things are usually delayed a bit in UCSD so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Heard WashU will be reviewing stuff soon!  Hope to hear from them soon *crosses fingers again*

Yeah, I don't know what to think about UCSD.. the results show 1 interview invite and 3 rejections. I have neither, which is very confusing  :wacko:

Do you know if WashU interviews?

Wow that's fantastic, congrats on all of that. Maybe I will see you at Vanderbilt.

Wow that's fantastic, congrats on all of that. Maybe I will see you at Vanderbilt.

Thanks! I didn't expect this many acceptances and interviews, I'm honestly shocked. I'm looking forward to that Vanderbilt visit, it sounds like it's going to be fun. They're the only ones that have sent an actual itinerary so far. 

Thanks! I didn't expect this many acceptances and interviews, I'm honestly shocked. I'm looking forward to that Vanderbilt visit, it sounds like it's going to be fun. They're the only ones that have sent an actual itinerary so far. 

Ah, lucky. I've only gotten the invitation. When did you receive that?

Let me know if you have any questions on VU as well, and I'll answer them as best I can.  

On 1/25/2015 at 5:46 PM, braindump said:

Yeah, I don't know what to think about UCSD.. the results show 1 interview invite and 3 rejections. I have neither, which is very confusing :wacko:

Do you know if WashU interviews?

I'm pretty sure WashU interviews. I haven't heard back from Northwestern and I think I chose the nano materials concentration, do you think they are done with sending interview invites?

If you're feeling stressed about hearing back from schools, my best advice is to stop checking Grad Cafe completely. Get off of here. Stay away. Do not come back unless you haven't heard anything come mid-February.

I stopped checking and all of the sudden I started hearing back. It's not correlated at all, but instead of anxiously awaiting and biting my nails constantly, I got to be pleasantly surprised. Just live in blissful ignorance for a few more weeks. It seems like the results are coming back much later than they have in the past, so don't stress too much. :)