BME Applicants!

ChineseAmigo

I feel like I can safely assume UCSD, UCSF/UCB, and JHU are all no-gos, considering my lack of invitation. Hmph.

If you're feeling stressed about hearing back from schools, my best advice is to stop checking Grad Cafe completely. Get off of here. Stay away. Do not come back unless you haven't heard anything come mid-February.

I stopped checking and all of the sudden I started hearing back. It's not correlated at all, but instead of anxiously awaiting and biting my nails constantly, I got to be pleasantly surprised. Just live in blissful ignorance for a few more weeks. It seems like the results are coming back much later than they have in the past, so don't stress too much. :)

Yeah, this worked for me the first 2 weeks of Jan. It was awesome just getting a pleasantly surprising email. Not expecting it, not worrying in the time period between someone's update on the results page and my own email. I'm not sure what happened between then and now, but that bliss is definitely gone, lmao.

I feel like I can safely assume UCSD, UCSF/UCB, and JHU are all no-gos, considering my lack of invitation. Hmph.

Yeah, this worked for me the first 2 weeks of Jan. It was awesome just getting a pleasantly surprising email. Not expecting it, not worrying in the time period between someone's update on the results page and my own email. I'm not sure what happened between then and now, but that bliss is definitely gone, lmao.

I haven't heard many people hear back from UCSD though.

Hello. Got interview invite for JHU. Also skype interview Minnesota and interview invite Vanderbilt. no word Stanford, CWRU , UCSD.

Does anyone know if most people who get invited to interview ( Hopkins in particular) get accepted?

Thanks and best of luck to all!

Edited by dmarm

Hello. Got interview invite for JHU. Also skype interview Minnesota and interview invite Vanderbilt. no word Stanford, CWRU , UCSD.

Does anyone know if most people who get invited to interview ( Hopkins in particular) get accepted?

Thanks and best of luck to all!

Nice!! Congrats  :)

I have an interview with Stanford but I don't know if that means they're done sending them out. UCSD also sent out a few invites I think, but not many, so maybe they're not done either. 

I wish I could answer your question about JHU. I was actually just wondering the same thing about Stanford.  :unsure:

I have an interview with Stanford but I don't know if that means they're done sending them out. UCSD also sent out a few invites I think, but not many, so maybe they're not done either. 

I wish I could answer your question about JHU. I was actually just wondering the same thing about Stanford.  :unsure:

As far as Stanford goes, I've heard from current Stanford BioE grad students that only about 75% of interviewees are offered admission. Compared to >90% at Berkeley/UCSF. They don't make it easy on us!

Thanks, braindump!

Looking at previous years results, looks like Stanford sends these out at the same time. So, little hope there.

UCSD still a chance. Also Northwestern visit that I had to refuse.

Hope someone could comment on JHU.  Thanks!

Edited by dmarm

As far as Stanford goes, I've heard from current Stanford BioE grad students that only about 75% of interviewees are offered admission. Compared to >90% at Berkeley/UCSF. They don't make it easy on us!

disasterprone, well... 75% is pretty high still for Stanford. Any clue on JHU or where one could look up this, while understandably anecdotal, information.

Yikes.  :( I guess that's still pretty high.. but I feel like, compared to a lot of applications, I don't have a lot to offer. So that worries me a bit. I'm honestly surprised I even got an interview, but I guess we'll just have to see! I have a visit weekend just a few days before the interview so maybe that'll get me prepped. :P 

Also I noticed your signature: congrats on all your interviews! Lookin' pretty good for you!

Do you think Harvard, Northwestern, and UCSD sent out all interview invites?  Haven't heard back from any of them but seen differently on the results page.  Also Georgia Tech acceptances?

Where have you seen Harvard interviews? I haven't seen anything on that front ( my inbox included :/ )

I've had one conflict so far, I just told them I had already committed to visiting another program but I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to visit both, and asked to work out another time that I could come for a visit. It's a common problem, they will be used to dealing with it and they will not be offended at all. 

I've had one conflict so far, I just told them I had already committed to visiting another program but I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to visit both, and asked to work out another time that I could come for a visit. It's a common problem, they will be used to dealing with it and they will not be offended at all. 

Thanks so much! One is an accepted students weekend and one is an interview weekend - originally I was thinking I would go to the interview since I'm not in yet, but on the other hand, it's not as if the other school can reschedule an accepted students weekend.. do you have any suggestions which to attend and which to try and reschedule? Do you think rescheduling an interview affects your chances?

Thanks again!

This is good advice. I've just been making a point to be very apologetic and emphasizing that I am still very interested in their program. Also, I've been making a point to offer up some possibilities for alternate dates. I'm not sure whether that helps at all, but I'm hoping it'll look proactive and help mitigate damage. 

There's really no shame in applying more than one place, I'm sure that the admissions people know that you've applied multiple places and they probably know that multiple places are courting you for admission. If you scheduled a visit and then flaked out, that would be unprofessional and also not in your best interest. I think as long as you explain the situation and make sure they know that it doesn't mean you aren't interested or grateful for the offer, then it's no biggie. As far as choosing which one to go to, if you've already scheduled one I would say stick with that, if you haven't scheduled either yet, maybe the interview is a bit more important. 

Hey all, 

Even though I posted earlier in this thread (but totally don't remember actually doing it), I started a thread in the Engineering subforum (where the 2014 BioE/BME PhD thread was from last year). Here's the link (). If you all want to come and join us over there, it'd be great to consolidate since I see a lot of good advice/discussion here as well. It looks like some of you have done so already, so that's great!