Your #1 tip for young students?

isilya

I'll be 23 when I start my MPH, but I am regularly mistaken for a high school (and sometimes even middle school!!) student. Obviously people in my cohort won't think I haven't graduated yet because otherwise I wouldn't be there, but does anyone have advice on trying to look older? I'm not even short... but this is a CONSTANT issue in my life and I feel like a lot of people don't respect me because I look so young.

I found that I had to start "dressing the part". By that I don't mean dressing too nicely, but rather, avoiding the hoodies, t-shirts, etc.

More importantly though, confidence seems to make the biggest difference. Shoulders back, chin up, and speak up, and you're less likely to be perceived as young.

Honestly at that stage of your scholastic career - people don't tend to harp about age (I guess I would be curious if there was a 15 yr old kid in my cohort, but I wouldn't go out of my way to ostracize the person). 

You'd be surprised. Sometimes it's a subconscious bias that causes others to view a young student as less capable. Other times, it's a subconscious bias on the student's part to view themselves as less knowledgable, or less confident.

Edited by dat_nerd

I was on the younger side (23) when I started my MS and will be 25 when I start my PhD which is probably around average. I think I look at least a few years younger than I am. This has never been an issue for me at all... People have commented on my age since most of my friends are closer to 30 but no one treats me differently or assumes I am less capable. If anything, I dress less professionally than most people. I wear jeans and a normal top about half of the days and some ridiculous looking, patterned yoga pants the other half (they are so comfortable!). I truly don't care what people think about how I dress... I'm not there to look good, I'm there to do science. I'm very respected in my program. I put tons of time into my research and school work and produce terrific results. I have a reputation for being serious about my work which results in students and faculty respecting me.

My point is that it doesn't matter how old you are. You will be perceived based on your attitude. If you want to be respected then do good science!

I'll be 23 when I start my MPH, but I am regularly mistaken for a high school (and sometimes even middle school!!) student. Obviously people in my cohort won't think I haven't graduated yet because otherwise I wouldn't be there, but does anyone have advice on trying to look older? I'm not even short... but this is a CONSTANT issue in my life and I feel like a lot of people don't respect me because I look so young.

I haven't started yet and i'll be 23 when I start my PhD as well, but I would say don't worry about it if others think you look young - it's your work that matters more than how you look. If they respect you less for being young, prove them wrong by knocking your MPH out of the park (so to speak)!

And if you REALLY can't get over looking too young, dressing professionally (I am a guy so I would say collared shirts + slacks every day) certainly would help. But again - your work > how you look.