Multiple Advanced Degrees

ERR_Alpha

In defense of this, as I am the one who said it, I feel that classes are the absolute least productive use of time during a PhD (at least in my field). I learn so much more about my discipline by actually spending time in the lab or reading the published literature as opposed to listening to a professor go over a survey of the material.

If nothing else, I think it's telling that in a degree that is expected to take 5-6 years, only 2 of them are focused on coursework. Clearly, it's not the courses which make the PhD so rigorous.

ah I see, that's entirely fair, I hadn't thought of that perspective. 

“I mean I get that some people want to specialize or make career switches (which is understandable) but eventually you have to pick something and start applying the skills you gained. … I don't think I would survive more classes, especially where I'm just trying to shove a bunch of info into my brain and calling it "learning". ”

I guess I'll defend my original statement a bit. I am totally an advocate for lifelong learning but unless you want to do something super specific like an MD/PhD working for the CDC or another career line that requires a combo of advanced degrees, I still feel it is not necessary. You can learn quite a lot without having to go back and sit through another degree. If you have the time and money to do so - then do it. My whole point is that an advanced degree provides one with the tools to be an independent learner, researcher, etc. Those are the skills you've gained - so eventually you should pick a career where you can further develop those skills but that by no means means that one should stop learning. I don't plan on doing so but unless the landscape of my future career path changes dramatically, I won't be going back to earn another advanced degree.