Couldn't get slots for Interview on Skype

sreyb

Hi All,

I received an email from Indiana University stating that I will be interviewed. They also sent me an excel sheet with possible timings. But after I replied to that with they sent a note that the slots were already filled up and there are no near possible dates for the interview. I am an International student and this is a first of a kind experience. I am very crestfallen to have missed the opportunity. The Graduate office said that this would not be impacting the decision taken. However, I am a bit worried. Does anyone of you have a similar experience? Will I be rejected admission right away. IUB is my dream school and I was so looking forward to it. Please suggest...

That is a tough situation. I feel it's not good planning from their part to not have enough slots for the students they want to interview, but if the Grad office said it would not be impacting the decision, then I wouldn't worry. Have you followed up with them in terms of other possible openings? Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for the reply, friend. I have emailed the Grad office and they reiterated that it would not affect the decision in any way. However, there might not be any interviews as they do not have slots. Am I being waitlisted? Also, they seem to have a rolling admission system. Am so confused and worried.

Is it that all of their interview sots filled up, or just the ones that were convinient to you? 

If they sent out more invites than time slots, then it really is their mess-up, and they can't have it affecting admission offers... So I'm a little thrown by the rolling admission part. However- if there is a time slot available that's just not comfortable for you I'd try and take it and make the necessary adjustments (missing 1 class or a couple of hours from work is a small price to pay for an interview). 

Best of luck!

The slots that were sent to me were filled up. I guess they sent the invites to those slots to others as well. Should I be worried if I am not invited again? Also, how important are these Skype interviews?

In that case don't worry- I'm sure they'll send you new time slots. Skype interviews are as important as on-site interviews, provided that they are the only interviews that particular program is holding. In some cases Skype interviews precede on-site interviews, in which case they either serve as another round of "weeding" (and hence are very important) or they serve as almost a formality before the actual interview... Since you're an international paalicant, I assume that in your case the Skype interview serves to replace a possible on-site interview (that was the case for me)

• 3 weeks later...

Hii,

I mailed them back and they said that there would not be any interview. But that would not "negatively" impact my application. However, I heard that they had provided some slots to those who missed in the first place. I was not one of them. :(

• 1 month later...