"prospective graduate weekend" invitation?

foamborn

I was recently invited to the "prospective graduate weekend" at one of the schools I applied to. I don't want to read too much into this (the worst thing I could do to myself is raise false hope), but does anyone have any idea what this could mean in terms of my candidacy for the program?

They offered to reimburse my travel expenses and overnight accommodations which could be a good sign...right?

P.S. I'm new to this forum so I hope I posted this in the right place!

I don't know about physics, but in the biomedical sciences, at least, an interview is practically a required step to getting an admit. This is probably very good news and you're on the short list of candidates at this point.

In Physics, usually this means you are admitted or they plan to admit you very shortly. Some schools do not notify you of acceptance before the visit because:

1. They might not have figured out funding yet but they want to book your flights and set up the visit dates without waiting to figure that out, or,

2. They just want to meet you and vet you (i.e. make sure you are actually a good fit and not a terrible person). 

So this is a great news. In Physics programs, this visit is more about them convincing you to join them, not really a competitive interview stage. I would say that the usual case is that you have to do something really terrible to not get accepted.

But of course, you can't assume anything until you get official notice. It would be very wise to act professional and make sure you represent your best self! Even if you are basically sure to get in, you want your future colleagues' first impression of you to be your best self :)

But of course, you can't assume anything until you get official notice. It would be very wise to act professional and make sure you represent your best self! Even if you are basically sure to get in, you want your future colleagues' first impression of you to be your best self :)

This is very true. Even if you are 100% admitted these may be the people you'll be working with daily or have on your committee, a favorable first impression goes a long way.

This may not mean a guaranteed spot. Schools/departments with more funding are able to bring their short list to campus. Last year I attended a prospective weekend at Stanford, with all expenses paid. They brought out 9 students and only accepted 4. (I was not one of them).

So it is a good sign, but you will still be interviewing and under review.

Best of luck!!

In Physics, usually this means you are admitted or they plan to admit you very shortly. Some schools do not notify you of acceptance before the visit because:

1. They might not have figured out funding yet but they want to book your flights and set up the visit dates without waiting to figure that out, or,

2. They just want to meet you and vet you (i.e. make sure you are actually a good fit and not a terrible person). 

So this is a great news. In Physics programs, this visit is more about them convincing you to join them, not really a competitive interview stage. I would say that the usual case is that you have to do something really terrible to not get accepted.

This is great news! I had a feeling that my interactions with the other students and faculty member would be watched as a sort of "informal interview."

I'll make sure to do some more research on some of the advisors so I can ask intelligent questions about their research.

And oh yeah, I'll wear a nice shirt ;)

Thanks again for the replies!