Been working as 'independent contractor' for > a year; should it be stated as 'employment' in the application?

I have been working as an independent contractor for 3 major organizations from home. I work from India, they're in the US; conversations and business take place using Skype or emails.

Now, I am very clear that I am an independent contractor and not an employee. But these jobs that I am working on are research jobs that are directly relevant to my field of study. Also, these are quality institutions so I would like to show that I have worked for them.

My question is: Can I state these independent contract positions under 'Employment Experience'? Or is it necessary that you are a full fledged W2 employee in order to do so?

Also, the application asks me: "How many years of work experience do you have?" Is this '0' for me (I haven't worked as an employee ever)?  I have been working as an independent contractor for more than a year, can I state this?

(Sorry, but I couldn't find a more relevant section to post this in)

I think the answer is a clear cut "Yes". You have relevant work experience, which you've gotten paid for.

As you said. don't state that you've been employed by these companies, but under the section "Independent contractor" of your C.V, state which companies you've done independent work for.

As you said. don't state that you've been employed by these companies, but under the section "Independent contractor" of your C.V, state which companies you've done independent work for.

I have already stated the independent research jobs in my CV. The problem is that the online application page has a section titled 'Employment Experience'. Do you think that these independent jobs can be listed under that?

I think it's 100% okay.  You are employed - you're just employed as a contractor.  People in the US in many fields (often in comp. sci.) work as contractors and list the experience on CVs/resumes/applications.  You can make a note in each listing under the "Employment Experience" section that the jobs were contract jobs if desired.

Thank you Munashi and Chubberubber. I will include it in the application. It also asks for the 'city', 'state' and 'country' for these jobs. Would I write the city that their offices are located at, or would I write my home city that I worked from?

Edited by thegraydude

Write your own home's city, state and country, since that's where you were located. If you were doing work for specific branches of those companies, then you can say which branch of the company it was (something like: "data analysis for duff beer, springfield headquarters"...)