Contacted by Department Head During Application Process

Cc1213

Hi friends,

First-time poster here. After submitting my application to Colorado University, I have been contacted twice by the department head. The first e-mail was designed to alert me of several changes made to the structure of the lit program, while the second e-mail informed me of further additions made to the program. Another professor was CC'd on the second e-mail. 

Any thoughts on this? I am worried that the graduate board is concerned on my fit within the program. 

May I add that my application is currently being reviewed (as relayed via the department head), even though the deadline for Fall 2015 isn't until April 1. 

Edited by Cc1213

Hi friends,

First-time poster here. After submitting my application to Colorado University, I have been contacted twice by the department head. The first e-mail was designed to alert me of several changes made to the structure of the lit program, while the second e-mail informed me of further additions made to the program. Another professor was CC'd on the second e-mail. 

Any thoughts on this? I am worried that the graduate board is concerned on my fit within the program. 

Welcome! Assuming these were individual emails and not bulk ones, I'd think they're more positive than not! If they were concerned about your fit in the program, I don't think they would have gone to the trouble of letting you know--programs tend to just reject people, rather than sending speculative emails about why they might not want you. So it could be a good sign!

Also, might I suggest posting in the Literature sub forum? This one is intended more for people pursuing creative literary paths (MFAs, PhDs in Creative Writing, etc), and there you'll find more people interested in the study of literature--I'm a medievalist, myself. There's also a sub forum for Classics, but it's not quite as active.

Welcome! Assuming these were individual emails and not bulk ones, I'd think they're more positive than not! If they were concerned about your fit in the program, I don't think they would have gone to the trouble of letting you know--programs tend to just reject people, rather than sending speculative emails about why they might not want you. So it could be a good sign!

Also, might I suggest posting in the Literature sub forum? This one is intended more for people pursuing creative literary paths (MFAs, PhDs in Creative Writing, etc), and there you'll find more people interested in the study of literature--I'm a medievalist, myself. There's also a sub forum for Classics, but it's not quite as active.

Yes, these were individual e-mails, and the professor who was CC'd on the second e-mail is someone who specializes in my field of study. My first response was that it was positive, but I immediately retracted that feeling and became paranoid. Your reply makes me feel better :)

P.s. Thanks for the nudge towards the Lit sub forum - still new here, so anything helps!