stat folks~ Who's applying where?

Hi everyone~

I'm a senior stat and math major. I'm going to apply for Ph.D. programs in Statistics. My list is not finalized yet.

I wish we can have some discussion regarding the quality of programs, the placement of grads, etc.

Best Regards ^^

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm also going to apply for Phd programs in Statistics this year. Actually, I was about to create a topic related to that!

I have a bachelour in physics, where I worked with chemical physics and special particles. Later, I started to study probability and went to study it at Ms level, which I'll be finishing this year.

My application process has just begun. I didn't take the GRE yet (the General one, I'm not taking the subject), only the TOEFL test (I'm from Brazil. By the way, sorry for my English :) ).

I'm still looking for some Universities. I'm thinking about applying to Purdue and Duke (these two would be my top ones) and some others "less ranked". I'm a little afraid about applying to top Universities, such as UPenn, Columbia, Yale, etc. I'm thinking about choosing 2 or 3 top and 4 or 5 regular. I'm also going to apply for some canadian univeristy, perhaps UBC.

Does anyone know if it is hard to get into Purdue? And Duke? Both of them have a good research groups in Extreme Value Theory, what I think it is very interesting. Actually, do you guys know others departments working with that?

And what about you, LINCHUXUAN? Which Universities are you considering? Have you decided?

Kind Regards,

Gustavo

Hey there, I will be starting my PhD program in Statistics this year (in two weeks actually.) Purdue was one of the schools I applied to and got accepted with full support. I have accumulated a lot of information about various programs (everything from research areas, to application statistics etc...) Let me know if you have any questions, but I will offer some general advice:

1. Off all the schools you mentioned, Purdue is probably the most difficult to get into, and probably the most respected (although all schools you mentioned are excellent.)

2. You will be at a very large disadvantage as an international applicant. Which leads me to point 3:

3. Apply to a lot of schools. In the last few years, applications have double or tripled while funded spots have decreased. The university I will be attending received 130 applications for 8-10 spots three years ago. This year, it received 280 for 6-8 spots. Apply broadly.

Thaks for you advice, ralphhumacho!

Yes, I know I'll be at great disadvantage and I agree with you, I have to apply broadly. I was thinking about applying for 1 or 2 top 50 Universities, 3 - 4 between 50 - 100 and 3 - 4 above 100.

Congratulations for you accomplishes! I can't believe you are not going to Purdue! Which University are you attending? What are you going to work with?

You must have a very good profile. Could you please evaluate my profile and help me to find some universities where I can get admitted?

Toefl : 106 (R:27 L:29 S:23 W:27)

GRE: not taken yet (hoping to score between 750 - 800 in quantitative section and between 320 - 400 in verbal section).

Bachelor in Physics (03/2004 - 12/2007) GPA ~ 4.5/5.0.

3 years as an undergraduate research assistant in a theoretical chemical physics lab.

1 published paper at the Journal of Physical Chemistry (2008).

Msc. in Statistics(03/2008 - 02/2010 expected) GPA 5.0/5.0.

I've been teaching statistics since october/2008. Courses taught: Probability and Statistics (for engineering), Fundamental of Statistics (mechanical engineering) and Probability (computer science).

Graduate assistant: Assisted a professor in the probability class at Msc. level.

Math courses: calculus 1,2,3 (96,94,90), linear algebra 1 and 2 (94,96), ordinary differential equations (88), partial differential equantions (80), Introduction to number theory and cryptography (80), complex variables (80), advanced calculus (summer course : C).

Stat courses: probability (91), statistical inference (91), computational methods (90), generalized linear models (96), non parametric functional estimation (95), stochastic process (95), statistical methods (summer course : B).

What do you want to study specifically? Do you want to focus more on Applied Statistics, Theoretical Statistics, Biostatistics, or something else (ie Finance.)? Also, unless you are applying to countries other than in the US, I'm pretty sure there are less than 100 universities which offer PhD programs in Statistics, maybe 70 at most. Thus, I would break it down as follows: apply to 2 top 10 schools, 3 top 10-20 schools, 3 top top 20-30 schools, and 4-5 schools ranked higher than 30. You have a strong profile and should get into at least a couple schools, although your Math grades are a little troubling. Have you taken Real Analysis? I can give you some specific recommendations once I know what you want to study.

Thank you very for your help, ralphhumacho!

About the number of Statistics Phd programs, that's something that I'd like to know better... do you know a web site where I can find a rank of the Phd programs? The US News gives only the top 10 programs, but I need a "longer" one.

I've been studying real analysis and measure theory with my advisor for my master dissertation (I've also followed an advanced probability course, I'm studying probability theory during my master ), but it won't appear in my transcript, so that's a big problem...

I'd like to study theoretical statistics, expecially extreme value theory. That's why I was thinking about Purdue. I'm also thinking about applying to Georgia University and Colorado State University.

Thank you very much for you help.

Thank you very for your help, ralphhumacho!

About the number of Statistics Phd programs, that's something that I'd like to know better... do you know a web site where I can find a rank of the Phd programs? The US News gives only the top 10 programs, but I need a "longer" one.

I've been studying real analysis and measure theory with my advisor for my master dissertation (I've also followed an advanced probability course, I'm studying probability theory during my master ), but it won't appear in my transcript, so that's a big problem...

I'd like to study theoretical statistics, expecially extreme value theory. That's why I was thinking about Purdue. I'm also thinking about applying to Georgia University and Colorado State University.

Thank you very much for you help.

The following link takes you to the 1995 NRC rankings, which are slightly dated (Florida, for example, should be way higher.) The 2008 NRC rankings should be out this fall, so be sure to look at those when they come out.

http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_r ... rea34.html

Gustavo, you appear to have quite a strong profile. I would encourage you to apply to at least a few of the top `theoretically inclined' PhD programs in statistics if you can afford the application fee. Worst case scenario, you waste some time, effort and money in the application process. But who knows---you might also wind up very pleasantly surprised at the results.

If you are certain that your interests lie in extreme value theory, then you should consider some top programs with strengths in time series analysis. Chicago and Columbia come to mind. Chicago is very strong in theory and time series, and Columbia recently hired Richard Davis away from Colorado State (he has done extensive work in the field of extreme value theory).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Gustavo,

How is your application going so far? I am a junior ( undergrad) majoring in actuarial sci and applied stat at Purdue now. I might switch to mathematical stat next semester, currently not quite sure if i would do well in this Linear algebra ( Math major type) or not.

I would like to hear some updates about your application, and also if you got questions about the department, and the small but rich in culture city, I am more that glad to help.

Good luck!

Personally, I feel like almost all who got into purdue's stat phd program have a near 800 quant on GRE, your TOEFL might be better comparing to the international students here.