MSW vs. MPP vs. MPA

bquinn

I'm having great difficulty deciding on what type of program to apply to in the fall, so if anyone has insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the deal: I originally thought getting an MSW was my only option. I intended on applying to UConn, UT-Austin, UPitt, and UMichigan, all for macro level programs (UConn is my first choice due to location, and I wanted to apply to the Policy concentration). However, once I started looking around at some dual degree programs, I noticed how well MPA and MPP programs fit in with what my dream job is: program manager at a nonprofit serving immigrants, refugees, and trafficked individuals. Now, I'm conflicted. Do I stick with the MSW alone? Do I change my concentration in the MSW, doing Administration instead of Policy? Do I do dual degrees? Or do I give up MSW altogether and go for the MPA, MPP, or MPAffairs programs? I'm not a clinical person, and I can really see myself excelling in a management role in a nonprofit. I'm just not sure having an MSW will be the right fit for employers. I also don't know if I would be as competitive for non-MSW programs. I'm about to graduate from a medium-sized state school in MA majoring in Psychology, I have a 3.8 GPA (no GREs yet), and I work in the social work field now doing outreach with teens and families (I've been in direct care for 2 years). I think I would be an ideal candidate for MSW programs rather than the others.

So many questions! Help if you can, please!

I'm having great difficulty deciding on what type of program to apply to in the fall, so if anyone has insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the deal: I originally thought getting an MSW was my only option. I intended on applying to UConn, UT-Austin, UPitt, and UMichigan, all for macro level programs (UConn is my first choice due to location, and I wanted to apply to the Policy concentration). However, once I started looking around at some dual degree programs, I noticed how well MPA and MPP programs fit in with what my dream job is: program manager at a nonprofit serving immigrants, refugees, and trafficked individuals. Now, I'm conflicted. Do I stick with the MSW alone? Do I change my concentration in the MSW, doing Administration instead of Policy? Do I do dual degrees? Or do I give up MSW altogether and go for the MPA, MPP, or MPAffairs programs? I'm not a clinical person, and I can really see myself excelling in a management role in a nonprofit. I'm just not sure having an MSW will be the right fit for employers. I also don't know if I would be as competitive for non-MSW programs. I'm about to graduate from a medium-sized state school in MA majoring in Psychology, I have a 3.8 GPA (no GREs yet), and I work in the social work field now doing outreach with teens and families (I've been in direct care for 2 years). I think I would be an ideal candidate for MSW programs rather than the others.

So many questions! Help if you can, please!

Hi. I think you should try getting into IRPS at UCSD, you could definitely get in. It is a Master in Pacific International Affairs, but you can basically pick a concentration on Public Policy. You can apply to in state tuition after a year, and several students have worked/done internships at non-profit organizations in Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua and the US. 

You should assess what is better for you in terms of your long-term goals.

I know that UT has some interesting dual-degree programs for MSSW students, including a MSSW-MPH and a MSSW-MPaff. You might want to look into those, and I'm sure other schools have similar arrangements. http://www.utexas.edu/ssw/mssw/dual-degree/

One book that really opened my eyes to the wide variety of careers you can go into with an MSW is "101 Careers in Social Work." It can be a bit dry at points but you may find that the MSW prepares you more closely for your dream job than you think. http://www.amazon.com/Careers-Social-Work-Jessica-Ritter/dp/0826154050

(I admit that I know nothing about the MPH and MPaff degrees!)

MPA will focus on institutional structure, management, and practices.  MPP will focus on policy analysis, economics, and statistical modeling.  I think either will work with a concurrent MSW, because neither focus on disenfranchised populations and services like the MSW will.

If you are passionate about "immigrants, refugees, and trafficked individuals" then i would focus on MSW programs that have expertise with that or are located in an area where you can intern with programs that focus on that area.  Many schools have the concurrent degrees.  You can also apply for the MSW, then apply for a concurrent once you are in the MSW.  I know of some MSW/MPAs who graduated with the MSW, then finished the MPA.  You can always call the programs that you are interested in to learn more about the terms for applying.