Help talk me out of this

Lorelai_Gilmore

Ok, so here's the deal. My first choice PhD program had its application deadline early January and has already sent out some acceptances and rejections. I haven't heard anything, so I assume I'm hovering in the middle ground (back up if some top students do not accept). 

I'm going insane and need someone to talk me out of contacting the department to tell them more about myself. I know this is a horrible idea, but it's so tempting and I need someone to shake me out of this. I recently realized that the program requires students to know a second language, and I did NOT write that I am bilingual on my CV (even though I am fully bilingual). Also, I recently got 2 papers accepted to conferences, which would really bolster my application. But that's all irrelevant now, right? Contacting them at this point would be unprofessional and unfair to my fellow candidates, correct?

Probably not going to want to hear this but: do not contact the department. I wouldn't be as concerned about being "unfair" to your fellow candidates. More like by this point, it is far too late to add anything to your application (if they've already sent out notices). It's unfortunate you didn't note the bilingual ability that you have, but calling them now to tell them won't help you nor will the conference papers.

Best of luck if you're on the wait list (or hoping to get on the wait list!)

Do not contact them! Wait it out. I know it's so hard, but let your application stand as it is. I highly doubt even if you did contact them, that they would do anything other than send you a form email. Just reconcile yourself to waiting, that's all I feel you can do right now.

Unlike the previous posters, I think that contacting the department and asking them to update your CV is appropriate. This is assuming that your conference acceptances are relatively prestigious (e.g. not undergraduate conferences at your own department that you happen to be organizing) and that they are in fact relevant for your current/future work as it relates to this program. Two conference presentations can make a big difference in terms of how experienced/successful you are perceived to be. That said, I'd keep the email very short and professional. This is not the time to "tell them more" about yourself or to gush about the program. Simply point out the change "I have recently had two papers accepted for presentation at conferences X and Y and was wondering if it would be possible to update my CV to the one attached to this email, which reflects this development. Thank you again for considering my application. I look forward to hearing from you soon, -Lorelai"

All I can tell you is that I don't think that any of the information you listed will make any difference in the outcome.  There's a high chance they've already separated the applications into "acceptance" "rejection" and "wait list"  

The only way to move from any of those is if you are wait listed, and you don't get off waitlisted by bolstering your application.  Movement has to occur with the already admitted students. 

Edited by NowMoreSerious

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'm going with the majority and choosing to not contact them, even though I really want to follow fuzzylogician's advice. I feel like I need to do the equivalent of freezing my credit card in an ice block so that I don't use it in a moment of weakness. Is there an equivalent for email?

Unlike the previous posters, I think that contacting the department and asking them to update your CV is appropriate. This is assuming that your conference acceptances are relatively prestigious (e.g. not undergraduate conferences at your own department that you happen to be organizing) and that they are in fact relevant for your current/future work as it relates to this program. Two conference presentations can make a big difference in terms of how experienced/successful you are perceived to be. That said, I'd keep the email very short and professional. This is not the time to "tell them more" about yourself or to gush about the program. Simply point out the change "I have recently had two papers accepted for presentation at conferences X and Y and was wondering if it would be possible to update my CV to the one attached to this email, which reflects this development. Thank you again for considering my application. I look forward to hearing from you soon, -Lorelai"

I agree with this, actually. Conference presentations can make a big difference. While updating your CV, also include your bilingualism. Just my advice--I don't see how updating could hurt you, though there are certainly downsides to not letting them have a complete picture of you, especially when what you're leaving out could make a difference in your chances.

I think this is a really tricky situation. I also know that in some fields (particularly the science ones) in Canada (if that is where you are applying), admissions is made on the professor level, not the department level. So it's more like a job. That is, whether you get in or not depends on whether your potential supervisor decides to hire you or not. For example, when I got into a MSc program, one school accepted me before the application deadline because I opened a dialogue with a potential advisor, sent in my materials, visited the school in person, talked to professors there, and got a decision before the application deadline. In programs like this, the application deadline is only there to encourage applicants to get their materials in by a certain date, but professors can choose to make a decision whenever they want.

So, if your program is like the above, it is totally appropriate to contact the school with updates and especially to contact the professors you might have contacted prior to application. But the above doesn't apply if you know your program and/or field does not work this way. 

Another reason to contact them is yes, I think your updates are significant enough to make a difference. In any case, it might jog someone's memory that your file is pretty good and perhaps updating your information gives them another reminder to take another look at your application package. 

One reason to not contact them is that you might annoy them, especially if they have policies against contacting them. I think you can mitigate this downside by 1) making sure there is no such policies, 2) do not ask them for a decision timeline or otherwise appear to rush them, and 3) as fuzzy said, don't overdo it, just state the facts. 

All things considered, I feel that you have the potential to gain a lot and actually have very little to lose by sending them a quick update email. And especially if your program/field treats this like a job hiring instead of how US school treats admissions, then updating your programs with new developments and/or just keeping in touch with potential supervisors is something you should really do!

Edited to add PS: Despite all the advice given here, only do what you are actually comfortable doing. You know your situation best, and you got to where you are now based on your knowledge, experience and instinct. Let our posts add to your thought process but don't let a few random strangers override what you feel is right for you!!

Edited by TakeruK
added PS

I would follow this advice.

I agree with fuzzylogician - don't go crazy trying to tell them more about yourself, but a brief, professional email updating them on the papers is a good idea.  As far as the bilingual thing - is there any way it's implied on your CV (like by jobs in another country)?  If not, maybe try to find a quick, nonchalant way to work it into an email that is overall updating them about the papers.  I feel like I've read advice on the forums and department websites along the lines of, 'don't call us, we'll call you, but do let us know if something important changes concerning your application.'  Papers accepted to major conferences count.  Good luck!

I also agree with Fuzzylogician (perhaps because being from the same field lends us similar professional understandings). Provided, of course, that you have not contacted them much before this point (i.e., you haven't emailed them to "update" other things previously). If you have a POI you have been emailing with at the school, I would email them directly about this (perhaps CC the DGS or department secretary). If you do not have a POI, I would email it straight to the DGS/secretary (whoever you think is most likely to be fielding emails to students). Though, as others have pointed out, this might not change your status if you are already on the waitlist (as you suspect), but it might move you up the waitlist. Which could ultimately be the difference between an acceptance and a rejection.

Also, look at it this way; do you really want to work at a department where people get so pissy after one well-intentioned email that they blacklist you? 

I was first author of a paper that got accepted to a top-level conference after all the admissions deadlines. When I got the notice of acceptance I attempted to update all of my applications. I was able to simply modify many of the the applications myself. For the others, I sent an email to graduate admissions. They all gave auto-replies, one human reply that said they couldn't update it, and one that said they would update it. So for me, it was definitely worth it to contact the admissions department.

Different schools have different policies about this. If they explicitly say no updates whatsoever can be made, don't bother them. If not, why not try? You would be paranoid to think that such a thing could lower your chances of acceptance. In reality, it will just be an administrative assistant who addresses your email and makes the update, and the admissions committee may or may not notice the change. 

On the other hand, failing to list something on your resume is less understandable, since you could have prevented this problem. I think they would be less likely to want to help you because you were forgetful when writing your application. You might have to pick your battles and try to update the publications list and not the resume.