Financial aid chances

Here's my situation,

I've been applying to start graudate school next fall to study public relations/integrated marketing communications, and I'm trying to get a better idea of what type of financial aid I could get offered (if any). I've applied to some of the top masters PR/IMC schools in the country including:

• USC Annenberg
  • Medill School at Northwestern University
  • Newhouse School at Syracuse University
  • Boston University
  • Georgetown University

Here's what I think I have going for me:

• 3.64 overall GPA - not from a top tier school though
  • Active in campus leadership, earned awards/honors during undergrad
  • Three years of work experience in my desired field

What I'm concerned about:

• Mediocre GRE scores - 150 Verbal Reas., 145 Quantitative Reas., 3.5 Analytical Writing
  • Haven't lasted at any of my jobs for an entire calendar year

Could anyone who's either been in a similar situation (test scores/GPA wise), attended one of these schools or attempted to tell me:

1. Do I have a decent chance at getting accepted?
  2. What type of financial aid do these schools offer?
Edited by CFBrown

Very low chances at funding. 1) pre-professional programs rarely give assistantships/fellowships, 2) way better chances getting a TA slot if you're somewhere without a doc program. NW, USC and Syracuse all have phd students to fund, not sure about the others. 3) Your GREs are closer to bad than mediocre. Some schools don't put a lot of emphasis on them so you might get accepted anyway, but funding is probably much more competitive. I'd suggest retaking.

I mean, very low is not zero. If $ is really essential, though, I'd suggest waiting a year, retaking the GRE (you can seriously boost that score with a committed study plan) and applying next year to schools with no phd programs.

I didn't apply to get my Ph.D. though...but yea, that's what I'm afraid of (low chances at funding). Appreciate the brutal honesty...

You might consider some other types of MA comm programs outside of those you listed.  I went to Wichita State and have found that there was a lot of focus on the areas you mentioned.  The classes have a very hands on approach.  As far as money goes, the funding situation is a lot better than at the schools you mentioned.  In addition, all of our "Ph.D" minded peeps got into their first choice program this year, so the program does seem to place well.  

And I don't think the deadline has passed yet for next year.  But I might be wrong.

Edited by The Pedanticist

I mean, very low is not zero. If $ is really essential, though, I'd suggest waiting a year, retaking the GRE (you can seriously boost that score with a committed study plan) and applying next year to schools with no phd programs.

You may be on to something with that idea. Only problem with that would be being stuck living with my mom (if I leave my current apartment) for longer than I'd like.

You might consider some other types of MA comm programs outside of those you listed.  I went to Wichita State and have found that there was a lot of focus on the areas you mentioned.  The classes have a very hands on approach.  As far as money goes, the funding situation is a lot better than at the schools you mentioned.  In addition, all of our "Ph.D" minded peeps got into their first choice program this year, so the program does seem to place well.  

And I don't think the deadline has passed yet for next year.  But I might be wrong.

I took a look at the MA Communications program at WSU. Tried finding the electives courses you can take, but they don't disclose that info. Do you have any idea what additional courses they offer?

I took a look at the MA Communications program at WSU. Tried finding the electives courses you can take, but they don't disclose that info. Do you have any idea what additional courses they offer?

Here's a current schedule of courses:  http://webs.wichita.edu/depttools/depttoolsmemberfiles/registrar/Courses/spring/Spring%202015%20Dec9%20updated.pdf 

The comm courses are on page 32.  Anything above a 500 level can be taken for graduate credit.  There are also obviously a lot of other course that can be taken as well that are not offered this semester.  You might just shoot an e-mail to the director of the graduate program Lisa Parcell.

Here's my situation,

I've been applying to start graudate school next fall to study public relations/integrated marketing communications, and I'm trying to get a better idea of what type of financial aid I could get offered (if any). I've applied to some of the top masters PR/IMC schools in the country including:

• USC Annenberg
  • Medill School at Northwestern University
  • Newhouse School at Syracuse University
  • Boston University
  • Georgetown University

Here's what I think I have going for me:

• 3.64 overall GPA - not from a top tier school though
  • Active in campus leadership, earned awards/honors during undergrad
  • Three years of work experience in my desired field

What I'm concerned about:

• Mediocre GRE scores - 150 Verbal Reas., 145 Quantitative Reas., 3.5 Analytical Writing
  • Haven't lasted at any of my jobs for an entire calendar year

Could anyone who's either been in a similar situation (test scores/GPA wise), attended one of these schools or attempted to tell me:

1. Do I have a decent chance at getting accepted?
  2. What type of financial aid do these schools offer?

I think you might consider applying to some non-top tier programs for your MA. Not trying to be contentious, but i don't think going to a top tier program as an MA student is super important. Where you get your PhD matters much more. Also, the good thing about some lesser-established/lower ranked programs for a masters is that their deadlines are later, so you can really cater your apps to them. You also will have a much better chance of getting funded.

I am applying right now for a PhD, and I am in the first MA cohort of my school. So, I definitely think it's possible to get into a top PhD program in the end. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I hope this helped and that I haven't sparked some major Grad Cafe battle. Lol. 

I think you might consider applying to some non-top tier programs for your MA. Not trying to be contentious, but i don't think going to a top tier program as an MA student is super important. Where you get your PhD matters much more. Also, the good thing about some lesser-established/lower ranked programs for a masters is that their deadlines are later, so you can really cater your apps to them. You also will have a much better chance of getting funded.

I am applying right now for a PhD, and I am in the first MA cohort of my school. So, I definitely think it's possible to get into a top PhD program in the end. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I hope this helped and that I haven't sparked some major Grad Cafe battle. Lol. 

You're fine, haha.

When I started to fully consider grad school my thinking was, "shoot for the moon and even if I miss I'll be among the stars" (don't judge me). I already earned my Bachelor's from a school that doesn't have much of a reputation. I figured if I'll get my Master's I should get it from a place that'll help make it count, you know?

I'm starting to feel a little better about my chances of getting accepted. Since I posted this I've had a decent Skype interview with Northwestern and received an email from the department head at Syracuse expressing her excitement to move my application forward for final consideration. None of this eases my financial aid concerns, but it does ease some of my fears about other life decisions I have to make soon.