How to respond to an acceptance while waiting for other schools?

David-Gal

It is my second day and I'm hesitating to write an e-mail to the department to which I applied. I received an acceptance e-mail from the admissions office and letter the department. It is too early for me to decide, I'm waiting to hear from other schools, most of them have said (in their website) that they will notify in mid-March.

What is your suggestion and how can I politely tell them that I am still waiting?

I would appreciate if suggestions in any form.

Thanks

Congrats on being admitted! I'm assuming you were admitted to a PhD program? If your school is part of this: http://www.cgsnet.org/april-15-resolutionthen you don't have to respond until April 15. Of course, many schools (and waitlisted students) appreciate it if people decline their offers in a timely manner once they've made a decision. But if this first acceptance is part of the CGS, then they will not be expecting anything from you unless you're formally accepting or declining their offer. They are used to long periods of silence from admitted students whom they know have tough decisions ahead.

Edit: Note that this resolution only officially applies to offers of financial support. But since a financial package and admission often go hand in hand, that doesn't really matter. It only matters if the school has not offered financial support and is demanding a response before April 15. Most schools not offering a financial package are wise enough to know that such a demand will not play in their favor, so they tend to abide by the April 15 deadline as well.

Edited by marXian

A good problem to have...

Thank them and let them know you will consider their offer in the coming weeks. As long as they haven't demanded an earlier written response they aren't going to pull your offer before April.

This thread has some good advice...

• 4 weeks later...