General piercing consensus?

braindump

I'm just curious to see if anyone has any opinions regarding piercings during interviews/visits. I know it probably varies per program, but I was hoping some people could offer insight from experience. I'll be attending several post-acceptance invites and two interviews, kind of all over the place, most of whom have specified 'casual' or 'business casual.' I have a nose ring in (actually kind of a cross between a hoop and a stud - it mostly just looks like I have 2 studs in but it's a circular barbell, hard to explain w/o an image), and a few in my ears/cartilage but I was going to leave those in. 

Should I take it out for interviews (say.. at a place like Stanford) and leave it in for visits? Does anyone even care?

I know I should go and "be myself," but I feel like some people are likely to judge me for something so silly. I also feel weird about interviewing without it and then showing up the first day of class/lab with a hoop on my face.  :P

Here are my thoughts about interviewing with dyed hair: 

Most of it applies here too. The entire thread might be interesting for you to read. The short version of my answer is: There is a delicate balance between feeling comfortable and dressing for the occasion. You need to choose where your priorities lie. Personally I tend to conform in these situations, but I respect that others might not want to suppress important aspects of themselves. If your piercings are an important part of how you present yourself, would you want to go to a school that would hate it so much they would actually not admit you if they knew about it (all else being equal)? 

Here are my thoughts about interviewing with dyed hair: 

Most of it applies here too. The entire thread might be interesting for you to read. The short version of my answer is: There is a delicate balance between feeling comfortable and dressing for the occasion. You need to choose where your priorities lie. Personally I tend to conform in these situations, but I respect that others might not want to suppress important aspects of themselves. If your piercings are an important part of how you present yourself, would you want to go to a school that would hate it so much they would actually not admit you if they knew about it (all else being equal)? 

Thanks fuzzylogician! That's actually a really good point.. maybe I'll find a balance myself and just put in a small stud for interviews. 

The Boulder comment I found interesting though. For some reason that was the one uni I thought for sure I should just leave it in. 

I was actually having this same thought when it comes to my soon to be internships through the MSW department. I currently have an eyebrow piercing (bar) and lip piercing (circular with two studs). I was thinking of not getting rid of them but making them less noticeable, mainly the lip one, by replacing it with a stud. I agree with being yourself but also finding that delicate balance. I don't know about the biomedical engineering field, but in social services it's pretty laid back in terms of dress, tattoos and piercings. If anything, I've found in interviews sometimes it's a conversation piece as some still fathom why pierce anything besides your ears. 

Wear a clear stud.  Don't give an interviewer any reason to think differently/judge you.  I have 11 piercings, myself, but remove/retain any facial piercings when I have an interview.  Generally, people are more accepting of piercings nowadays, but at least in my field, there's still a lot of old scientists who aren't progressive in their beliefs.  Make yourself look as good as possible- first impressions can't be changed.  We had someone interview where I work, one time, who had a septum piercing and after the interview, my boss said he didn't care about the piercing, but he was so distracted by it that he didn't pay attention to anything she said.  He's a [insert choice words] but, still.  Food for thought.