Apply for an MA? Or work FT/study PT at an Ivy?

mmsw86

I'm interested in pursuing a graduate degree in art history - concentrating in 19th and 20th century art - particularly French art - with the ultimate goal of becoming a college professor or working in a museum (haven't decided yet).

I received a BA in English from Georgetown U last spring and have been taking courses (for free) at UPenn while working full-time. I'm now debating between:

1- Applying to MA programs this winter, to matriculate in fall 2010. I will have taken 9 courses in art history (5 in studio art) by the end of the fall semester and will likely take 2 art history courses the following spring. I will have been studying French (on my own) for two years. Right now, my reading skills are at an intermediate level. I don't know that, with this background, I could get into a top MA/PhD program, so I may have to apply to terminal MA programs only. And, in doing so, I'm sure my costs will be higher. Thoughts on any of this?

2- Continue to take classes at Penn for an additional year, and apply to MA programs as well as MA/PhD programs (for matriculation in fall 2011). Hopefully, by staying at Penn for another year, I could develop relationships with faculty while strengthening my background in the field. Downside: delaying the whole process, perhaps having to complete (and pay for) an MA before getting into a PhD program.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!