Favorite books / references for your respective sub-fields

TenaciousBushLeaper

Hi all, 

So I thought I'd make this thread. Essentially I'm asking anyone/everyone who is willing, to post the information (title/edition/authors) of your favorite books/references for your respective fields/topics of study. (This can include your favorite methods/stats books)

I enjoy the fact that psychology is more or less an all encompassing field & I find a lot of other topics within psychology very interesting(of course some more than others). &.....I NEEDS MOAR NOLEDGE lol.

Anyways I guess I'll start:

Statistical Inference by George Casella & Roger L. Berger

Cognitive Neuroscience by Marie T. Banich & Rebecca J. Compton

Awk Programming by Arnold Robbins 

Introduction to Psycholinguistics: Understanding Language Science by Matthew J. Traxier

Edited by TenaciousBushLeaper

Books I've been reading lately:

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions - Thomas Khun

Dark Ages - Lee McIntyre

The first is a classic and the second one is newer, but they both provide a look at the scientific nature of psychology as a whole. I recommend them both for anyone in the psych field. As far as textbooks go, the only one I think I've actually thought stood out was:

The Social Animal - Elliot Aronson (11th Edition)

Books I've been reading lately:

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions - Thomas Khun

I can also recommend Kuhn. I really enjoyed Structure. It helped me view things from a more helpful perspective than I was doing previously. Have you read The Road Since Structure? It's sitting in my bookcase but I haven't got round to it yet.

I think you can't go wrong with the classics - Neisser, Skinner, Piaget. It could just be the biases of my undergrad discipline (and now the influence of reading Kuhn), but I hadn't noticed the vulnerability of scientific disciplines to rely on textbooks and in doing so the original sources of various movements can get neglected. So I have a lot of catch-up to do! I also find the prose of older texts generally more pleasant to read than in modern texts.

I'm currently reading Thomaz Szasz 'The Myth of Mental Illness.' Enjoying it quite a bit. However, I think to get the best out of it, it should be read with some flexibility/forgiveness when it comes to interpretation. But I do believe there are some very valid and relevant points that remain true for psychiatry today.

I'd also like to recommend Consciousness and the Social Brain by M. Graziano. I find the Attention Schema Theory an attractive concept.

Edited by jenelsan