Is a joint MD and BME PhD helpful for being a researcher

Quicksand

Just curious if there was significant benefit to obtaining an MD in addition to a PhD in biomedical engineering through one of the many joint degree programs available out there if one is interested in primarily doing research for a living. Does the MD not help that much? I've heard that it can be helpful in terms of getting funding. Thanks!

No. Just do the PhD if strict research is your career path. The MD/PhD programs are designed for physician scientists. If you want to practice medicine AND do research in BME, then the dual-degree option is the way to go.

My understanding is that certain aspects of biomedical research require a MD to perform. For instance, a biophysics research group I worked briefly with was devising methods of in vitro imaging of cancer cells - but to perform experiments with living tissues the physicists had to have the assistance of an MD. The MD's role was more of a rubber stamp than any meaningful contribution; nonetheless, having the credential opens certain doors that are closed to purely scientific researchers.

Your mileage may vary.