Looking into a certificate program in statistics

L83Ste

At first I considered a Master's in statistics, but all of the programs that I have found are calculus-based. I don't have a background in calculus (only precalc). I found an online certificate program through Texas A&M that is non-calculus based and I am considering it as a possibility if I don't get in anywhere. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Good or bad idea?

I would have to do the online option here because it is in Texas and I can't uproot the family unless I'm going to go for long-term degree. I've looked into Master's in stats closeby, but the issue is that they are all calculus-based programs. This certificate is one of many offered at Texas A&M and it is specifically for non-calculus based stats. 

yeah, a full-on Master's degree on Statistics is not recommended for anyone who doesn't have a solid math base. i'd say the BARE minimum that you'd need is the basic calculus sequence (differential, integral and multivariate), linear algebra and at least a course on mathematical statistics or a 3rd-year level probability course (something that focuses on the method of proof).

i only know one person who was on a similar situation to yours and he vouched for the online MSc program in Iowa State. you can circumvent all theory courses and just focus on the applied ones so it is more manageable if you don't have a solid math foundation.

i think i asked you about whether your (physical) presence was required or not because there are many applied statistics programs housed under Faculties/Departments of Education that cater to people with limited math backgrounds but who want to become better data analysts. there are 2 in Texas (Texas A&M and University of Texas)

if you go on here:

http://www.apa.org/research/tools/quantitative/

and click on "Educational psychology programs in quantitative methodology" you should get all the info you need. many offer an MEd route so that you just do the courses and graduate.  

Edited by spunky

Thank you. :) 

For that program, it seemed to me that my physical presence was not required. 

That's really what I want though, to be a better data analyst. I haven't taken the required sequence. I have taken Elementary Algebra, Finite, Pre-calculus, and Introductory Statistics for the Social Sciences. I am decent at math though. I got A+'s in all of those courses, so I'm not afraid of math. 

I plan to get a Social Psychology Ph.D., but I'd really like to have an extra strong background in statistics to make myself more competitive. That's basically the goal. 

well, for Texas A&M you can do this one:

that seems to be more general-statistics based or this one:

that has a more 'social sciency' feel to it. although just by looking at the titles of the courses on the education-based one it doesn't seem like you'll be doing a lot of statistics-related stuff. the first one seems like a better option (which is, i guess, the one you were referring to initially). 

from looking at the syllabuses of the courses i can see there's a lot of emphasis on SAS and R. i'd really recommend you practicing both before you begin. and if they offer some type of SAS certification, TAKE IT. it looks really good on the CV

the Texas A&M and Iowa State are the only two ones i know that are both online and do not require a solid mathematical foundation. if you come across any more it would be nice if you could share them. i know lots of people who would also wanna improve their stats knowledge :)

That top one is the one I was referring to (Applied Statistics Emphasis). 

Had I known that a Master's in Statistics would require a ton of calculus courses, I would have just taken them in undergrad. I love stats and I finally realized that many people do not feel the same way. 

I know there is a Master's program through IU Bloomington that fits what I want, but you have to be in a Ph.D. program to get into the Master's as a minor. I don't have experience with SAS and R. I have only used SPSS and I'm comfortable with it. I'm looking up options now for SAS and R. Thanks :)