CalArts MFA Graphic Design Interview

mccathabee

Hi everyone,

I was just notified today that I'm a finalist for CalArts's MFA Graphic Design interviews. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this process and what I can expect from it?

Also, was wondering if anyone would happen to know how many people are typically asked to interview, and how many people are then selected from that pool for final admission?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

What did your email say? In my email it just said to register for the an all day event at CalArts. I think it is just an overview of the program and not the actual interview where you have to present your work. But I might be wrong.

Sorry for the delayed response! Here is what my email said, and I'm pretty sure there's a brief interview involved.

"Dear ___,

I am delighted to inform you that the California Institute of the Arts faculty committee has completed the initial review of your application to the Program in Graphic Design - 2 Year MFA and invites you to visit the school for an interview. The interview is a requirement for MFA candidates and is an important component of the final selection process. The Interview Day will provide an opportunity to meet the faculty, current MFA students, and your potential peers. 

The MFA Graphic Design Interview Day is scheduled for Friday, March 6, 2015, beginning at 9:00am. We strongly encourage an on-campus interview; however if you are unable to attend, please contact Brian Gershey as soon as possible to schedule a skype interview. In your subject line please write "MFA GD request for alternate interview."  Include your full name and skype address in your email..."