Can anyone shed some light on my situation?

slova342

So this is kinda off topic but this is where I can find most experienced people. Any advise or insights will be helpful.

Recently, I applied to a company for a software developer internship (Very big multinational company but not primarily tech). I had a phone interview with the HR and then 2 interviews with the engineering team. During the phone interview, the HR rep. asked me for my GPA, since its not mentioned on my resume and pretty low. Hesitating I said 3.0 when in fact, it is 2.8. Well, that was over and I did very well in the other 2 technical interviews.

Turns out, I have been offered the position. However, they will be doing a background check (vendor is First Advantagee). Do you guys think they will access my transcripts and verify the GPA amongst other things?

Some things I have heard so far... 

1. most of the time, companies only check to see if the applicant is enrolled or not and degree status.

2. Because of FERPA, most schools will not disclose transcripts and GPA information. 

Has anyone gone through something similar ?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm .. well you shouldn't have lied on your interview... They might can you because of it.  As far as transcripts--you mean the audio transcripts?  Probably not, employers don't have time for that crap.  GPA?  Yeah they will verify it.  If you wrote down 3.0 somewhere and its really 2.8....I dunno what to say.. Are you still enrolled in school?  If yes, pick up another class that is stupidly easy and you can probably claim you will get an A in it, so you gave them your anticipated GPA.  If not, well I don't know what will happen.  They may drop you, or not...

Some things I have heard so far... 

1. most of the time, companies only check to see if the applicant is enrolled or not and degree status.

2. Because of FERPA, most schools will not disclose transcripts and GPA information. 

1. Sometimes employers will simply ask for a verification of degree, which is provided by a university's registrar, and does not include information such as GPA, courses taken, etc.

2. Because of FERPA, schools cannot release your transcripts without your consent, which means First Advantage won't have access to your transcript. However, an employer can make a transcript a condition of your employment with their company, in which case you have to authorize the school to release your transcript to HR, or you don't get the job.

• 8 years later...