Any Questions during this horrible waiting

gradgrad0717

Why don't we share any questions that could be raised during this horrible season of waiting for results?

I will start with mine: Does it mean that I got rejected if everybody's already got admissions while I have not received any e-mails or any changes on my application status? Should I be worried?

Please share your ideas if there is anyone in this forum...

Also I want this forum to be used for someone who feels frustrated with all kinds of scenarios and questions.

Why don't we share any questions that could be raised during this horrible season of waiting for results?

I will start with mine: Does it mean that I got rejected if everybody's already got admissions while I have not received any e-mails or any changes on my application status? Should I be worried?

Please share your ideas if there is anyone in this forum...

Also I want this forum to be used for someone who feels frustrated with all kinds of scenarios and questions.

I'm in the same situation. No acceptances, no rejections. Just a complete silence... while others have been getting invites/acceptances. I've become pretty jaded and started thinking about backup plans.

It feels so relieving just knowing that there's someone like me. I cannot explain why tho.

I wanted to think it was just the waiting list thing, but reading what you've wrote.... backup plan sounds logical.

I have a brilliant friend who applied for art history programs and he's heard nary a peep. keep your hopes up!

one of my programs doesn't release decisions until mid-March so I'm trying to acclimate to waiting.

I'm wondering -- I never contacted a POI at the last school, the one that doesn't decide til March. I had contacted and met with POIs at ALL of my other programs, so I figured I ought to diversify my approach. Now I'm wondering if it would be a terribly bad call to contact him now, even though my app is already in... or leave it alone ... argh.  :wacko:

What will I do if I don't get anywhere again? 2nd year in a row of doing this. I don't think that'll happen, optimistic 1 specific program I applied to will let me in. My question's more why didn't I retake the GRE when I had the chance and get some more work experience or a publication last year when  I could have? And why didn't I apply to more top 20 or 30 schools in my field this time instead of overwhelming targetting schools that I thought were close to my interests and based on that where I thought I was a good fit? And lastly how to survive this wait? It's agonizing, I don't handle stress well @ all.

To grad_wannabe

Maybe I am able to answer your question since I heard some people asking and answering questions on the POI contact thing. As far as I know, whether you've contacted to your POI or not is not critical. I mean, yes it would be great if you could contact and find out if your research interest exactly matches with his, but it would not be the reason for the rejection (unless you're science major).

If you still want to contact anyway, try not to give him an impression that you're looking for ways to improve the possibility of admission, nor that you're contacting him to find out if you're really going to get admitted. Maybe you would want to ask him if he is the ideal professor with whom you could develop your skills as an independent scholar and achieve your ambition.

Good luck :)