LSE vs. UCSD IR/PS

Kosmosis707

Hello all, 

I have recently received offers of admission to both the UCSD IR/PS MA in International Affairs and the LSE MSc in Comparative Politics.  

While I understand the two programs are very different, I’m curious to see if anyone has a recommendation out of the two.  My situation:  I’m trying to keep as many avenues open as possible for international career paths, especially academia.  I’m interested in: 1) research in Comparative Politics or Area Studies, 2) work as a Foreign Service Officer with the State Department, 3) work as a United Nations Officer, 4) work as an international journalist (yep…the curveball), or 5) possibly work in a federal position in national defense.  

UCSD is close to home and has a great focus in Asia, but the one year Masters at LSE has a great reputation and is easier on the wallet.  

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Thank you much.

Hello all, 

I have recently received offers of admission to both the UCSD IR/PS MA in International Affairs and the LSE MSc in Comparative Politics.  

While I understand the two programs are very different, I’m curious to see if anyone has a recommendation out of the two.  My situation:  I’m trying to keep as many avenues open as possible for international career paths, especially academia.  I’m interested in: 1) research in Comparative Politics or Area Studies, 2) work as a Foreign Service Officer with the State Department, 3) work as a United Nations Officer, 4) work as an international journalist (yep…the curveball), or 5) possibly work in a federal position in national defense.  

UCSD is close to home and has a great focus in Asia, but the one year Masters at LSE has a great reputation and is easier on the wallet.  

I did the LSE MSc in Comp Pol. I thought it was fantastic, I received excellent training, had good access to the faculty, and have been lucky enough to be admitted to top PhD programs in the US that I would not have had a shot at without the LSE. They also may give you some financial assistance if you need it. If you want more info on it, shoot me a PM. I can also put you in touch with people who did it with a focus on Asia. 

Hello all, 

I've completed an IPE MSc at the LSE and I am completing the IR/PS MPIA program. 

1. If you want to work in the US, a US school is usually better.

2. The IR/PS program offers more quantitative training, and those hard skills will help you land a better job. 

I enjoyed my time at the LSE more. The seminars are smaller and the workload is reasonable. IR/PS is a professional degree mill with large classes, but it gives non-quant background students quant skills and gets them out into the workforce. If I had to do it over again, I would skip LSE (unless it was for the econometrics degree).

I hope this helps.

I finished my degree in IRPS. While most of the introductory classes were big (around 50-110 people), the rest of the classes were fine (10-40) and pretty enjoyable.

Even if tuition is lower in LSE, which I highly doubt, you can get in-state tuition for the second year and if you live on campus (Single Graduate Apartments) you can pay almost nothing (450 USD per months). 

I have friends studying in London and they do not have a good time because of the housing; however, London is definitely more interesting than San Diego.