When do PhD programs usually begin?

Argon

I wasn't sure where to post this, but when do most PhD programs begin? I'm trying to figure out if I can go to a conference in the middle of August, but I'm not sure the timeframe for most graduate departments. Any insight would be great!

My masters started in early August, if I recall correctly.  I don't remember having any free time during that period, though.

Your best bet is likely to see if you can find any information online, like on a department calendar or in the handbook. You might also ask for general information, depending on your situation.

Thanks for the replies! I ended up searching for general academic calendars at each institution (instead of looking for the date on the graduate department websites), and that helped. It seems it'd in mid to late August or early September depending upon the school.

If you have a TA or RA attached to your PHD, you'll probably have to show up 1-2 weeks BEFORE classes start.  For training, getting your office in order, etc.

My classes started Aug 25th, but I had to check in and take training on the 15th.