History, Political Science, or Policy Degree?

USC95

I've got a question burning in my soul.... Should I study History, Political Science, or Public Policy?

Here are my research interests:

- History of U.S.-China Foreign Policy

- History of International Diplomacy

- International Security Studies

- History of Humanitarian Intervention

I've been influenced by the works of Niall Ferguson (Harvard-History), Gary Bass (Princeton-Politics), Philip Bobbitt (UT-Law), and I am an avid fan of studying the biographies of the U.S. Secretary of State. I would love to research, write, and teach at the university level on the history and future of U.S. - China foreign policy, and perhaps even serve in a government advisory role some day. Personally, I feel that U.S.-Chinese relations will dominate the political and global scene for the next 50-100 years - a subject of which I am passionately interested.

Here are some personal stats for your reference:

- Out of school since 1995

- No current writing sample

- GRE: 800 Math/720 Verbal/4.0 Writing

- A lot of international NGO experience (14 years)

- Fluent conversational Mandarin

Thanks for any advice you might offer. I truly appreciate it!

I would like to eventually have a PhD to teach at the university level, as well as spend the extra time developing a seminal work (under some great advisors) for a dissertation in my area of interest.

However, I am a bit confused whether I should shoot for an M.A. first in an attempt to "get back into academia." Although I do hold an M.A. in intercultural studies from an accredited seminary, none of my classes were formal History courses, and I do not have a thesis to present as a sample writing project. My interest in history and foreign policy has developed over the last decade working in international contexts, and my academic background in those fields are lacking.

Would you recommend an Masters at a policy school or other program? While I want to stay "rooted" in academia, I do want to cross-over into foreign policy advisory role in the future as well.