Canadian Universities - OISE Applicants

hazelnut.latte

I'm still waiting to hear back about an MA program

From what I can tell, they start sending out offers in March and throughout April... waiting is killing me! 

I've applied to an MA program there as well. Still waiting!

I'm wondering if it's as competitive as they make Oise seem to be! I have a 3.8 GPA (10.5/12) and I'm seeing these posts of people with high GPAs not getting in to Oise and it's driving me nuts just waiting :)

I'm wondering if anyone has been called for an interview - specifically if they applied for an MA or thesis stream program?

I'm seeing that some people who applied to the psychology department have been contacted re: PhD programs. 

The longer it takes to hear back, the more I wish I had applied to more than one school! 

I don't really know how competitive OISE really is. Does anyone know why OISE is so popular? I was advised to apply to it and I did but now that I have acceptance letters from elsewhere and in case I get into OISE I have to make a decision, I'm wondering why is OISE really so hot? What is it they provide that others can't? I looked at their benefits package (the only thing I could get my hands on because their funding scheme is so complicated with very little info) and compared to what I get at York it is an insulting JOKE!

Anyone have any thoughts?

What's the funding like from York in comparison to OISE? My friend got accepted to the SCCP program unofficially from phone call by her POI

That's what I am trying to say, OISE doesn't specify their funding package online. York PhD's get a minimum of $21,000 but in reality it's more like $25-$26K. Besides York Benefits are amazing!!! If anyone know what OISE offers please share.

That's what I am trying to say, OISE doesn't specify their funding package online. York PhD's get a minimum of $21,000 but in reality it's more like $25-$26K. Besides York Benefits are amazing!!! If anyone know what OISE offers please share.

That's really awesome is that in clinical? I know that OISE SCCP (MA) mails their admissions package, my friend told me that her POI said the package was being sent out today or Monday so probably in a weeks time. But, also I've heard that OISE is notorious for taking their sweet time with decisions so I wouldn't hold my breath :(

That's really awesome is that in clinical? I know that OISE SCCP (MA) mails their admissions package, my friend told me that her POI said the package was being sent out today or Monday so probably in a weeks time. But, also I've heard that OISE is notorious for taking their sweet time with decisions so I wouldn't hold my breath :(

I didn't apply to the SCCP, I applied to the social justice education and adult education programs. I forgot to say about $4K is deducted from the above funding for tuition.

Since OISE is part of the University of Toronto.......prestige is an answer to your question.

Since OISE is part of the University of Toronto.......prestige is an answer to your question.

Hmmmm that was my sense too. and having gone to U of T in my undergrad purely for the prestige, I know for a fact that it is not worth it and besides U of T's so called prestige doesn't really open many doors unlike schools like Harvard and Yale and other with which U of T is competing. Unless OISE is a different story?

OISE is the most research intensive education faculty across Canada. That means their faculty has a lot to offer graduate students who want quality research material for their future.

OISE is the most research intensive education faculty across Canada. That means their faculty has a lot to offer graduate students who want quality research material for their future.

Thank you for that. It really helps specially when you are trying to decide between 3 different programs. Could you shed more light into that? More concrete examples in terms of future job opportunities and what they can do for students in that respect if you can please?

I really can't speak to job prospects, as I am an applicant like you. I can speak to their research excellence though. 

Take a look at this list of SSHRC funded projects. The longest list of recipients are by far grad students from U of T: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/recipients-recipiendaires/2013/insight-savoir-eng.aspx 

Taken from their website: OISE is Canada’s leading centre for graduate studies in education and offers a wide-range of academic and professional programs involving the study of learning from birth through adulthood. Since 2004, OISE faculty have published more than 400 books and 2,000 refereed journal articles, and have won more than $21 million in research funding between 2011 and 2014.

In the most recent QS World University Rankings, OISE rose to ninth overall in the world and to first in North America among public institutions.

Of the 40 top schools principals in Ontario, 7 of them were OISE graduates: http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/oise/About_OISE/oise_alumni_named_canadas_outstanding_principals.html 

You can go to their news page to see examples of success stories of OISE grads: http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/oise/Home/News/

Why the HECK does the faculty of Applied Psychology and Human Development take so freaking long?? I even emailed admissions for the department and no response. Super frustrating! U of T sends their offers later than everyone! 

Hi everyone! I applied to the M.A in Higher Education for Fall 2015! But haven't heard back at all .. not even from profs I contacted to supervise me, so kinda getting the nerves  :( ! Has anyone applied to the MA in Higher Education? Have you guys heard back yet? 

Hi everyone! I applied to the M.A in Higher Education for Fall 2015! But haven't heard back at all .. not even from profs I contacted to supervise me, so kinda getting the nerves  :( ! Has anyone applied to the MA in Higher Education? Have you guys heard back yet? 

I applied to a different program but same department. I contacted them this week and they said the Registrar's Office usually doesn't send letters out until mid to late-March.... So just be patient! 

I only received one email response from a POI and they pretty much said "cool, good luck"

I applied to a different program but same department. I contacted them this week and they said the Registrar's Office usually doesn't send letters out until mid to late-March.... So just be patient! 

I only received one email response from a POI and they pretty much said "cool, good luck"

Thank you for this info and I definetely meant to upvote you not downvote sorry!

Edited by FantasticalDevPsych

Call the Program Administrator, the decisions have been made over two weeks ago. They know who is in and who is not in their system, but the official results will be sent mid March. I called them and they gave me the results.

^Thanks ArcticAI! And yeah it seemss POIs won't contact you back unless they're fascinated by your research interests! Best of luck! 

Call the Program Administrator, the decisions have been made over two weeks ago. They know who is in and who is not in their system, but the official results will be sent mid March. I called them and they gave me the results.

^Very interesting! I wonder why they don't just announce their decisions if they've already been made! But I'll call and give that a try! Thanks! 

^Thanks ArcticAI! And yeah it seemss POIs won't contact you back unless they're fascinated by your research interests! Best of luck! 

^Very interesting! I wonder why they don't just announce their decisions if they've already been made! But I'll call and give that a try! Thanks!

Interesting to hear you think that! Before I even applied I contacted my POI thanking them for their help with something for my thesis (my undergrad advisor emailed them and asked for something and I wanted to thank them for sending it) and I actually received a reply...

Yes, really! Why not? I'd like to know if I'm actually shut out or not!