Rejected then received letter inviting me to orientation

SillyFaces:)

I applied for a graduate program at University of Toronto to which I recieved a rejection letter in April.

Today, I received mail from their School of Graduate Studies inviting me to their Fall orientation and information about registration??!!! :x :x

I'm not sure what to think, but since I haven't heard anything from the actual department I applied to, I'm guessing this is a mistake. It feels like a second rejection; this one hurts more.

Anyone heard of anything like this happening before?

Last year I had an opportunity to start at Toronto in their engineering program. But, the thing is, I wasn't informed of my admittance until 1 week before school started and I being that I was not a resident of Toronto made it a little difficult. Plus, I had already accepted another position elsewhere.

Ooh! We can add UT to the list of schools with their collective head up their ass, along with U Washington and UW-Madison. All sorts of stupidity happens when people can't coordinate their email lists. What? Email individuals personally, after they paid $100 for the grand privilege of applying to your mighty institution? Pshaw!

Great story on this subject :)

A colleague of mine applied to a doctoral program at UNC-Greensboro (sp?). She received a rejection letter, but then received an email inviting her to an accepted students weekend. As we veterans know, this kind of blip happens all the time, so she called the department to check. Even before she had finished asking whether or not she had been rejected, the person bruskly told her that she had been rejected. She tried to ask her question again, and the person put her on hold; a few moments later, the dean of the school picked up just briefly enough to say "you've been rejected, sorry!" and promptly hung up on her.

She was later accepted to another program, took the offer, and moved. Two days before Greensboro's classes began, she got a call from the same office staff person asking why she hadn't enrolled for classes. My friend informed the secretary that she had personally told her that she was rejected; the secretary denied it, but my friend politely declined the school's invitation :lol:

There's just nothing like the personal contact we can expect from the academic community. Who needs business types when we can all be rude to each other every day and NOT have to make the big gobs of money while doing it?! ;)

Last year I had an opportunity to start at Toronto in their engineering program. But, the thing is, I wasn't informed of my admittance until 1 week before school started and I being that I was not a resident of Toronto made it a little difficult. Plus, I had already accepted another position elsewhere.

Don't get me started on U of T! I spent $90 to apply and was subsequently rejected. Ok...I can live with that, BUT...I later found out from people in the department that they did not have the funds to admit any non-Canadian students this year AND that they knew this months before applications were due. I would have turned down their offer in the end anyway, but it just pisses me off to flush money down the toilet...

I applied for a graduate program at University of Toronto to which I recieved a rejection letter in April.

Today, I received mail from their School of Graduate Studies inviting me to their Fall orientation and information about registration??!!! :x :x

I'm not sure what to think, but since I haven't heard anything from the actual department I applied to, I'm guessing this is a mistake. It feels like a second rejection; this one hurts more.

Anyone heard of anything like this happening before?

So I ended up calling the program to ask if it was a mistake. The person I spoke to didn't even ask my name they were just like "yeah that was a mistake, sorry about that, tee-hee (they didn't actually say tee-hee but I feel this is the best representation of their tone :roll: ). I thought it was a little insulting that they couldnt' even double check to see if I was mistakenly put on the wrong list. Oh well, I'm fine with the rejection, I just hate being reminded of it 4 months later.