What to do now...

trulin

I applied to 7 Computer Science PhD programs (usually theory, algorithms or networking):

Princeton

Columbia

Cornell

MIT

UCB

UCSB

Caltech

Background: I've had 3 years of research, 4 strong LORs (2 from significant research contributors, i.e. TR35 winner and Vice Dean of Research), 3.95/4.0 GPA, 2 summers at major mobile chip company, I've taken grad courses, 1 submitted paper, one REU.

However, I've had only one interview (UCSB, seemed very positive) and have yet to hear back from them regarding admission. I've also been rejected without any explanation from Cornell, Princeton and UWashington. It seems like I aimed too high, but the schools I applied to all had researchers whose interests aligned with my own.

Is there anything that I can do at this point to increase my chances of getting in at least somewhere? If not, is there anything I can do to understand the weaknesses in my application/why I wasn't admitted?

Thanks for any help, 

-Alex

Let me explain how admissions committees work. There are about four items that determine if you will be accepted or not. In order of priority:

1. Is there a faculty member who specifically wants you, will this person go to bat for you? (this is your POI)
  2. Does that faculty member have funds to carry you for 5 to 6 years?
  3. Do you have a good research statement to back up that faculty's investement (do your letters of recommendation concur)
  4. Do you have good GRE/Test scores to convince the rest of the committee

If the anwser to any of these questions is no you end up in the waitlist pile. That means you are still a match with regards to topic of research, research statement and test scores. It's just that they're otherwise full. If someone drops out, or if during the first round of personal phonecalls by faculty to high-priority candidates someone drops off, then you've made it off the wait list.