Impending Rejections?

Hi, everyone.

I'm a bit new here, so I wasn't sure what to make of the "impeding rejections." How can we tell if a school is an impending rejection? 

Forgive me, but I am starting to feel worried. You see, I was already rejected from Columbia's English & Comp Lit program, and I have 6 schools left to hear from. But I haven't heard anything yet. 

Is this a bad sign? Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

Whether or not you adhere to the "applied rejections" school of thought is really a personal choice. When a string of acceptances has been posted some people prefer to count that as an applied rejection to lessen the blow when/if a rejection comes. This tends to happen with schools that traditionally notify all admitted students in one batch. Some schools, however, tend to send out acceptances in waves, so rejections are not as clearly implied.

Whether or not you adhere to the "applied rejections" school of thought is really a personal choice. When a string of acceptances has been posted some people prefer to count that as an applied rejection to lessen the blow when/if a rejection comes. This tends to happen with schools that traditionally notify all admitted students in one batch. Some schools, however, tend to send out acceptances in waves, so rejections are not as clearly implied.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Should I start gearing up for the Fall 2016 cycle? 

It's too early to count anyone out, I think.

Personally, I live by the "implied rejection" theory, as it makes a rejection easier to take or an acceptance an even happier surprise. I have yet to hear from 12 programs, but only three or four of those are implied rejections (in my mind, at least). Some programs don't notify until the first week of March, so it really depends.

I felt terrible about my chances the year I got shut out, so I applied to three MA programs in early March (by that time I think I'd gotten 9/11 rejections). An MA might be worth some consideration, but with six programs yet to hear from I think it's too early to count yourself out.

It's too early to count anyone out, I think.

Personally, I live by the "implied rejection" theory, as it makes a rejection easier to take or an acceptance an even happier surprise. I have yet to hear from 12 programs, but only three or four of those are implied rejections (in my mind, at least). Some programs don't notify until the first week of March, so it really depends.

I felt terrible about my chances the year I got shut out, so I applied to three MA programs in early March (by that time I think I'd gotten 9/11 rejections). An MA might be worth some consideration, but with six programs yet to hear from I think it's too early to count yourself out.

Thank you. :) I do have my MA though. 

I have never been through such a tumultuous time before. This is brutal. It feels like I'm having a baby, but I'm not even in labor! :o

It's still very early in admissions season, overall. I know the waiting is hell, but hang in there!

It is so much hell! Keep your chin up and stay positive. I like to go ahead and believe that schools who have admitted many others will reject me because it makes the blow hurt less. To each her own, though. I've assuaged some anxiety by applying for teaching jobs, which, as I'm sure you know, you can do with an MA.

Good luck to you!