Interested in getting a second MA?

Good day, everyone! 

I received a BA in English Literature, and my MA was sought at NYU's Interdisciplinary Humanities. I took a lot of classes in the English and Comp Lit departments, but my thesis was anthropologically-based. I wrote about apartheid in South Africa. My ultimate goal is to get a PhD in Comp Lit, specializing in African Literature. I'm an African student who was born in Surrey. 

I worry that my MA won't suffice for a PhD application. I worked hard on my application this cycle, but I sometimes wonder if I need to get a second MA in Comparative Literature. NYU's Interdisciplinary program was wonderful, but it has gotten me rejected before. But I think last year, I got rejected because I had bad letters and an unfocused SOP. I was hospitalized twice and wasn't in the right mindset when I applied the first time.

Perhaps I should try applying to another MA program in comparative literature so I can write another thesis and do some more research in my field. 

What do you think? Thanks for reading this rather long novel! :)

Good day, everyone! 

I received a BA in English Literature, and my MA was sought at NYU's Interdisciplinary Humanities. I took a lot of classes in the English and Comp Lit departments, but my thesis was anthropologically-based. I wrote about apartheid in South Africa. My ultimate goal is to get a PhD in Comp Lit, specializing in African Literature. I'm an African student who was born in Surrey. 

I worry that my MA won't suffice for a PhD application. I worked hard on my application this cycle, but I sometimes wonder if I need to get a second MA in Comparative Literature. NYU's Interdisciplinary program was wonderful, but it has gotten me rejected before. But I think last year, I got rejected because I had bad letters and an unfocused SOP. I was hospitalized twice and wasn't in the right mindset when I applied the first time.

Perhaps I should try applying to another MA program in comparative literature so I can write another thesis and do some more research in my field. 

Hey youngcharlie, I feel you on this one although I have no advice! I'd love to hear other people's experience with this - when going for comp lit, which has interdisciplinary qualities, does it hurt to come more fully from one of those disciplines, or to be too interdisciplinary in a slightly different way?? I applied for two PhD's this cycle, but I feel a bit like I should've applied for MA's instead. I have a MFA in visual art myself, and although I've always been writing (and on topics that relate to comp lit within art, moving image, and experimental literature), my writing sample was definitely only partially related to comp lit (or media studies, my only other app). I wonder if the MA would help, just for having the time and focus spent directly on topics I'd plan to research further in my doctoral studies, and create the strongest possible writing sample. My best recommender also suggested I not apply to MA's yet, since her experience was that hiring later would be improved by my going directly to the PhD, but I wonder if that's not an out-of-date suggestion given the current job market.

The things is, I've also been in and out of some serious medical issues ... and I did as much research as I could at the time to narrow my apps down to just two that I felt were the best fits (I'm limiting myself to NYC this round too, because of family issues) ... but after joining gradcafe I can see all these ways I could improve my chances, especially when it comes to contacting POIs and getting the best LORs and stuff. So part of me is also thinking I can do the work to improve my app next time (and apply more widely), and perhaps then start a PhD fall of '16 instead of '17 after another two year masters...

I blame the waiting for all this overthinking, by the way!!!!!!! and good luck to you with your research, it sounds super interesting :)

I'm finishing up my second MA (my first was in history), and it's been a great experience. It was probably the right choice for me, since my stipend pays more than I was making beforehand and I've been able to network. However, it's not something I would recommend to most people. It's not looking like I'll get a PhD acceptance this round, and the informational interviews I've done with people in the workforce have indicated that having two MAs marks me as a "doesn't know what he wants to do" job applicant. I don't think it's going to end up seriously hurting my non-academic career, but it hasn't helped.

In short: it will look better on a CV than on a resume, and even for a CV it's no silver bullet. I wouldn't do it without funding.

Edited by khyleth

After my BA (English/Psych) I was accepted to the American Studies MA/PhD program at my home institution. I wasn't funded, so I ended up changing to a terminal MA. I worked in editorial for a few years and decided to try for a PhD. Given my interdisciplinary background, I applied to a mix of AmStu and English programs and was, as I've said before, completely shut out. So, I applied to three funded English MA programs, which is what I'm graduating from this year.

Personally, it has been a fantastic experience. It has helped me direct my interests, gain teaching experience, and get broad experience through more coursework (having written a thesis for my first MA I opted out of writing one this time around, opting to do an independent study that would produce an article-length paper). My professors have also uniformly commented that the additional degree should help marketability as humanities funding declines, given that I'll be qualified to teach in at least three departments when I finish a PhD (by itself not a benefit, but a nice perk if it ends up working out that way). Of course, I'm already fairing better where decisions are concerned (it only takes one, right?).

Given your interests, an MA in African American Studies or Africana Studies could be an option as well. I'd recommend it if you can find a funded program and would also suggest applying for an MA in the area where you want to pursue your PhD. Since my latest degree is in English, I applied to only English programs (with one exception), and I feel like this route helped me articulate how I'd reach where I am/why I was applying in my SOP. Just my two cents, though.

Good day, everyone! 

Hi,

Would you consider studying overseas? The School of Oriental and African studies in the UK would probably love you.

I echo all the In Hac said. I am also finishing my second MA. My first was in science writing/journalism. For me, going to a straight English program for a second MA was really helpful. I got teaching experience, lots more research stuff for my CV, and a better idea of just what i wanted to do for my research focus(es). I would definitely say go for one that is funded, but my experience at this MA was super rewarding.

Honestly, I don't think that an anthropological MA will hold you back from Comp. Lit programs, particularly since you have taken courses in the area, but also because anthropological work really can't be ignored in an African context. Scholars like Mbembe, Didier Fassin & the Comaroffs work with anthropological texts/are anthropologists, but as also central to the context of African lit. If you really want to move on to a PhD you can probably sell your anthropological training as a strength, rather than a weakness. Make your MA work for you by demonstrating that it will help you in a PhD program; don't sell yourself short here. 

That being said, I don't think think a second MA would hurt, provided that you aren't going into debt for it. If the real issue with your application was reference letters, that might be grounds for a second MA. However, I think it's general practice for professors to refuse to write reference letters in the case that they don't feel that they can speak to an applicant's strengths. Unless you had a particularly bad interaction with one of the writers, I don't think any of them would want to screw you over. No one wants to write a bad reference letter. 

Long story short: write a SoP highlighting the importance/utility of your MA in the context of Comp Lit, talk to potential reference letter writers about your application, and email potential advisors. Obviously you can do more research in your field (everyone can, always) but I don't think it has to be formalized in the context of another MA. Read on the side, keep up with the field, and let that show in your SoP.

Edited by poliscar

Honestly, I don't think that an anthropological MA will hold you back from Comp. Lit programs, particularly since you have taken courses in the area, but also because anthropological work really can't be ignored in an African context. Scholars like Mbembe, Didier Fassin & the Comaroffs work with anthropological texts/are anthropologists, but as also central to the context of African lit. If you really want to move on to a PhD you can probably sell your anthropological training as a strength, rather than a weakness. Make your MA work for you by demonstrating that it will help you in a PhD program; don't sell yourself short here. 

That being said, I don't think think a second MA would hurt, provided that you aren't going into debt for it. If the real issue with your application was reference letters, that might be grounds for a second MA. However, I think it's general practice for professors to refuse to write reference letters in the case that they don't feel that they can speak to an applicant's strengths. Unless you had a particularly bad interaction with one of the writers, I don't think any of them would want to screw you over. No one wants to write a bad reference letter. 

Long story short: write a SoP highlighting the importance/utility of your MA in the context of Comp Lit, talk to potential reference letter writers about your application, and email potential advisors. Obviously you can do more research in your field (everyone can, always) but I don't think it has to be formalized in the context of another MA. Read on the side, keep up with the field, and let that show in your SoP.

Out of upvotes but this is a very helpful perspective for me, so thank you for posting.

I'm finishing my MA in philosophy and I've just been accepted to 1 PhD comp lit program and waitlisted at another (applied to only 3). My advice, although it's only my opinion, would be to use the year to strengthen your app rather than do another MA. Find a conference and present at it. And more importantly learn the language of your field. Take language courses and perfect your skills. Also research every comp lit program and find the ones that you are a perfect fit for. If you want languages and lit find those. If you want theory and philosophy find the theory comp lit programs. Build stronger relationships with your prior MA faculty. Write a new sample. Bug them for feedback. Meet with them and tell them your plan. Get stronger letters as a result.

I personally would not do a second MA whether funded or not because you're stilll going to have to do yet another year of coursework when you land in a PhD program. It seems to me as overload For what you want to do.

Finally there are very few comp lit MAs and even fewer that fund.

I'm actually doing an MA in Comp Lit right now! But I'm in the same boat as you, youngcharlie, because I'm thinking of transitioning to History for a PhD, and I'm worried that my BA in English and MA in Comp Lit won't do it. Would you guys suggest me getting another MA, or is the switch possible without?