Low Undergraduate GPA Ruin Chances of Getting Accepted to Ph.D. program?

indorichai

I suppose this is a bit too late to be asking this (especially since I submitted my applications already), but I've applied to a couple Ph.D. programs in Science Education.  I've done horrible as an undergraduate and graduated with a really low GPA, but then after working as an English teacher in South Korea for a year, I decided that I wanted to pursue teaching.  I applied to some master's programs in education and finally went to Florida State University.  I was honestly very happy that I studied there and I enjoyed school for once and it gave me direction and motivation for what I'd want to do in the future.

After graduating with a high GPA, I wanted to fulfill a lifelong dream and joined the Peace Corps.  Although I was assigned to teach English in the Peace Corps, I did try and use my science education teaching to practice in my community.  Anyways, so my point is, although I worked really hard during my master's program (where I also worked with a research project and did a couple other relevant things related with science education), hopefully have good recommendation letters, and I think my statement of intent is decent...Will my low undergrad GPA hamper me from getting into a competitive Ph.D. program? 

I don't think it will hurt much. I was told that they care much more about what you've done recently and about how you did in your masters program. As long as your GRE scores are good, your SOP was good, your LORs are good, your research matches the interests of the faculty . . . see, plenty of other things for them to look at! :)

I wouldn't worry about it because most schools focus on recent performance and because you cannot do anything about it. Worry about things you can control!

with that said, my cumulative undergrad GPA was 2.7 ish, my M.A. GPA was a little north of 3.7, and I received my first PhD acceptance today from a top Canadian school with substantial funding....so it is possible.

Thanks to both of you! I knew it was silly of me to ask, but I think I've just been feeling really anxious lately just waiting around.  I called Teachers College the other day to ask on the status of my application and they said that it was reviewed very recently and I should be hearing from them soon. This made me really...nervous and a bit crazy. 

• 2 months later...