Latin American Studies MA- Fall 2015

twentysix

UCLA raised my fellowship offer yesterday to $31,000! They are also offering partial funding for their visitation day.

I'm going to make a weekend out of it and visit UCLA and UCSD at the same time. The visitation days, in addition to the conference I am presenting at, are getting me out of about a week and a half worth of classes (April 1-11)! Does anyone else have a pending visitation day?

Edited by twentysix

Pretty good. Program and department looks pretty good. Met a bunch of profs and they all seemed quite nice. City is decent as well. 

Awesome! I love Texas, Tex-Mex and Texas BBQ; I just hate Texas politics. I Would have loved to live in Austin.

Anyone doing anything interesting for Spring Break? I'm on my way to Panamá for about a week. I hope to get in some good snorkeling and kayaking time in the ocean and lake Gatun and I also plan on visiting the canal and exploring the city and its ruins. I'm excited to get to use my Spanish a little more in another real world setting.

Twenty six, check your email, I got an email from the UCSD Program Director about the fellowship.

Thanks for the heads up, the email went to my junk mail. Did you receive the fellowship? I did not get it out of the first 2 rounds, 1 round remains.

However, they are keen on offering me a research assistantship (tuition/fees/salary) if I do not get it in the final round (which I probably won't).

Edited by twentysix

I didn't make the 1st round either. It looks like we got an almost identical email. I replied to his email, but I haven't heard back yet. It would be nice to get the fellowship, but we shall see.

Edited by Randomgal

Did the program director call you today Randomgal? He did not contact me, even though I scheduled today for him to call.

No, he did not call me. I didn't even receive a follow up email. It's Spring Break at the UC's right now, so that might be it.

No, he did not call me. I didn't even receive a follow up email. It's Spring Break at the UC's right now, so that might be it.

Ok. I didn't get a follow up email either.

At my university, spring break is only for students. All university offices continue to function.

I believe it's the same for UC's. Hopefully we hear something soon, and hopefully something about a possible visitation day as well.

I already asked, there isn't one.

I made my own visitation day, the day after UCLA's open house.

Oh, well that's a bummer, but understandable. Sounds like you have a busy trip ahead of you! Are you going to drive or take the train? If you drive, it's about 2 hours (but the 405 and the 5 get lots of traffic), but otherwise not a bad drive. I heard the train route down to San Diego from Union Station is quite nice (you get a nice view of the ocean :) ). 

Oh, well that's a bummer, but understandable. Sounds like you have a busy trip ahead of you! Are you going to drive or take the train? If you drive, it's about 2 hours (but the 405 and the 5 get lots of traffic), but otherwise not a bad drive. I heard the train route down to San Diego from Union Station is quite nice (you get a nice view of the ocean :) ). 

I'm driving. I've made the trip before so I know what to expect. Thanks for the well wishes!

Edited by twentysix

I'm mainly interested in the Spanish language, especially in contact with indigenous languages. I have a personal connection to indigenous groups in Mexico. Academically, I have little track record.

What aspects of Pre-columbian/colonial Mexico are you interested in? 

I'm mainly interested in the Spanish language, especially in contact with indigenous languages. I have a personal connection to indigenous groups in Mexico. Academically, I have little track record.

What aspects of Pre-columbian/colonial Mexico are you interested in? 

Oh sorry, I meant academic/scholastic background not ethnicity.

I am interested in closely analyzing the effects of Spanish colonization on the indigenous groups of Mexico. I want to see how the hierarchy of native society changes when comparing immediately before the Spanish arrival to immediately after and a little ways into colonial times. I'm shooting for ~1500-1650 CE. Do the noble/wealthy indigenous people stay wealthy and noble, how does their station in life change over the decades as the Spanish morph the region into a new political body?

I originally wanted to hone in on a Nahuatl speaking group because of my fascination with the triple alliance (the triple alliance itself is way overdone), but I think that Mixtec speakers are where my immediate pursuit will lie because of offerings at my target schools.

It is possible that I will do some comparative work between a Nahuatl speaking group and a Mixtec speaking group for my PhD. Ideally I'd like to learn to read colonial Mixtec during my MA, and colonial Nahuatl during my PhD.

I will be graduating with a B.A. in History and a B.S. in Anthropology (archaeology) in May. I have taken some Latin American centric history/anthropology courses but not nearly enough. I want to use my MA to broaden my knowledge of Latin America, improve my fledgling Spanish, begin to learn one amerindian language (mixtec/nahuatl), and strengthen my knowledge of colonial Mexico. Ultimately I hope I can make enough improvements for a strong PhD application in ~3 years to Wisconsin/Texas/UCLA/Penn State.

Edited by twentysix