Latin American Studies MA- Fall 2015

twentysix

Really cool. You have some great plans.

Thanks, hopefully they become more focused and solidified in the near future!

Did you apply for both an MA in LAS and a PhD in Spanish? Your profile says Spanish PhD. Where else did you apply and for what programs?

Edited by twentysix

I'm a non-traditional student so I applied all over the map; both MA Spanish, MA LAS and PhD Spanish. Most of my apps were for Spanish, just a couple LAS. I got a really good Spanish PhD admit so that is my priority right now. But UNM really treated me well, I really respect those departments.

I'm a non-traditional student so I applied all over the map; both MA Spanish, MA LAS and PhD Spanish. Most of my apps were for Spanish, just a couple LAS. I got a really good Spanish PhD admit so that is my priority right now. But UNM really treated me well, I really respect those departments.

Congrats on the PhD admit!

Natiyrm,  Congratulations! Yes, I remember you, the only person hereabouts from China. Good for you!!

Hi, ***, congratulations! We had a little talk in another thread.

It seems that most of us have got all the results. I got many letters of rejection but was admitted by the LAS program of University of Florida!

Congrats Natiyrm! Enjoy being a Gator! Did you get any funding or perks at Flordia? Also, what do you study/will you study within LAS and what is your educational background?

Edited by twentysix

On an also unrelated note, I applied to Yale's summer session and I have received some really positive feedback. It looks like I will be studying Nahuatl at Yale this summer, but I still need to receive the official acceptance.

I ended up accepting UT Austin. 

Congrats! Enjoy being a Longhorn! If you enjoy sports make sure to check them out, Texas has a storied athletic tradition and a nearly unrivaled athletic department budget (something close to $200 million/yr). Did you end up getting the GSR position?

Yeah. Not entirely sure how many hours I'll get yet, but there is some work for me for sure. Looking for other positions as well.

Pretty crazy though, I had three completely funded offers in political science MA programs (and half tuition at UChicago), but turned them all down to go to UT Austin without any guaranteed funding. Whatever, that's how much of a fit it is. 

Edited by victorydance

Just came back from UC San Diego. I got to meet the office manager (Brittany), and she basically went over the logistics of the program and talked a little bit about the funding with me. Also, your first year is coursework only and your second year you are doing your research for your thesis and writing. It's really flexible. I also met a graduate student, with whom I went to a class (undergraduate) that the program director is teaching. I got to meet him. He's nice, I didn't have too many questions for him, so it was a little awkward. Overall, I really liked it and I actually like the campus ( it reminds me of my undergrad school). I think Im going to accept their offer  :)

Just came back from UC San Diego. I got to meet the office manager (Brittany), and she basically went over the logistics of the program and talked a little bit about the funding with me. Also, your first year is coursework only and your second year you are doing your research for your thesis and writing. It's really flexible. I also met a graduate student, with whom I went to a class (undergraduate) that the program director is teaching. I got to meet him. He's nice, I didn't have too many questions for him, so it was a little awkward. Overall, I really liked it and I actually like the campus ( it reminds me of my undergrad school). I think Im going to accept their offer  :)

Congrats! I'm looking forward to my visit on Friday.

Thx, twentysix. I didn't get any funding but my parents are willing to support me. I will graduate in July with a BA in Spanish. LAS is a rising field in my country so I hope to concentrate on sino-latin american relationships and cooperation. It is really cool that you have plans to learn indigenous languages, I just hope to continue improving my Spanish and Portuguese in the MA program.

Thx, twentysix. I didn't get any funding but my parents are willing to support me. I will graduate in July with a BA in Spanish. LAS is a rising field in my country so I hope to concentrate on sino-latin american relationships and cooperation. It is really cool that you have plans to learn indigenous languages, I just hope to continue improving my Spanish and Portuguese in the MA program.

Fantastic, I wish you the best of luck! I hope to improve my Spanish as well!

Edited by twentysix

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! New to this thread. Accepted at NYU CLACS and Columbia MARSLAC. Anyone have any experience with either of these programs? Not totally sure of research at this point, but am interested in Mexico, Colombia and social movements. Thanks!

Hi! New to this thread. Accepted at NYU CLACS and Columbia MARSLAC. Anyone have any experience with either of these programs? Not totally sure of research at this point, but am interested in Mexico, Colombia and social movements. Thanks!

Didn't you have to make your decision by today? Also, I am not familiar with either program so I can't help there.

Edited by twentysix

My acceptance schools emailed me like clock-work on the 15th. Kind of startling after so much silence.

• 3 weeks later...

My acceptance schools emailed me like clock-work on the 15th. Kind of startling after so much silence.

It's funny, I just got accepted to one of the schools I applied to today. I guess some places just work in other ways...

It's funny, I just got accepted to one of the schools I applied to today. I guess some places just work in other ways...

Wow, how would they ever get a student when all the other universities required a decision weeks ago?

Edited by twentysix