Should I take the GRE again? 470+780+3.5?

ggoubb

Hi,

My GRE scores are 470+780+3.5. I am planning to apply to Electrical Engineering PhD programs in the coming spring. My undergraduate overall GPA is 3.75 and engineering core GPA is 3.8. I have one semester peer tutor experience at my school, and half year of intern experience in a local EE related company. Should I retake my GRE? I know my verbal and AW are very low. I really really want to get into georgia tech. Anybody think that's possible??

Anything else I could possibly do to increase my chance??

Thanks very much!!!!

schools and departments often post their GRE averages or minimums on their websites. the website for the electrical engineering program at georgia tech has this info:

http://www.ece.gatech.edu/academics/graduate/apply.html

Graduate Record Examination (GRE)

The GRE is required of all applicants. All applicants must submit scores for the following three parts: Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing. Your GRE test scores are an important part of your application and you should strive to submit the best possible scores. The average GRE scores for applicants accepted into our graduate program for the fall 2007 semester are:

Verbal: 542

Quantitative: 774

Analytical Writing: 4.17

The admission committee considers several factors when making admission decisions. Your academic performance at prior institutions (GPAs), your GRE test scores, your statement of purpose, and your letters of recommendation. All of these factors are important. Your application will be strengthened if your GRE scores are at or above these average values. If your GRE scores are lower than these averages, your chances for admission will be reduced and, if your scores are very low (ie., below 400V, 700Q, and 3.5AW), your application will be declined. Furthermore, meeting or exceeding these average numbers for GRE scores does not guarantee admission.

your V+AW scores are below average and will hurt you. i'd get a better study guide, study for a month or more, and then re-take it.