Encouragement to apply for fellowship a good sign?

lurker(dothecreep!)

Last week my top choice school emailed me encouraging me to apply for a fellowship whose deadline I had accidentally missed. This email came a week and a half after a good interview.

This is a good sign, right? 

Maybe, but it could be a generic mass email sent to all applicants who missed the deadline. Only time will tell.

My top school did that - my POI emailed me and told me that I should apply for a fellowship that I missed, but said in the email "we haven't made any final decisions yet, but we were impressed with your profile and thought you'd be a good fit for the fellowship."

I went ahead and applied to the fellowship, let them know I applied, and waited. 

I was admitted, got extra funding, but ultimately didn't get the other fellowship. But I was admitted and to me, that's what really mattered. 

Just my experience, if that helps.

I got a similar email from one of my schools. A month or so after the January deadline, I got an email from the office of admissions with a spreadsheet of scholarship opportunities, saying something like "many of our current students have won these scholarships, and we're sure you will, too!"

It read like a batch email, but I couldn't help but wonder why they would send it so late after the app deadline -- especially when many of the scholarship deadlines had already passed. Did I make some kind of internal cut?!?

Another 3 weeks of waiting for that result ...

I got a similar email from one of my schools. A month or so after the January deadline, I got an email from the office of admissions with a spreadsheet of scholarship opportunities, saying something like "many of our current students have won these scholarships, and we're sure you will, too!"

It read like a batch email, but I couldn't help but wonder why they would send it so late after the app deadline -- especially when many of the scholarship deadlines had already passed. Did I make some kind of internal cut?!?

Another 3 weeks of waiting for that result ...

Same situation here, only my results could come any day (ANY SECOND). I like to think that they're not so carelessly cruel as to send out encouraging batch emails to people they're going to going to reject, but who knows.