Please give me some hope

sho_076

Hi, I am Palash from bangladesh, an international applicant. Completed under grad in EEE with

GPA-3.3 ( on 4.0 scale). Upper level GPA-3.60

Work exp: 1 yr as a trainer of ' Basic GSM infrastucture & operation)

Project: Voice detection using sinusoidal model( Pitch extraction)

GRE-1430(Q-740, V-690, AWE-3.5)

Toefl-108

X & XII : both 90%

Decent SOP & good LORs

Are of interest: DSP, Electromagnetics & Antenna designing.

Preferred Universities:

U FL

ASU

NCSU

U Mass, Amherst

UTD

WUSTL

Virginia tech

Georgia tech

U Cincinnati

TAMU

Boulder

What do you guys think about my univ. choice & what are my chance of getting into those univs?

plz give your educated reply................ :?:

QGRE is a bit low for the schools you're looking at; might be worth retaking.

Apply to some safety schools. Your list is all pretty competitive universities, and it's tough for international applicants (especially in this economic climate).

But do you think 1430 is too low to remain as a competent within international students?

Actually I thought it is sufficient score..............

It's a cruel truth that it's harder for international applicants to gain admission into American schools than it is for an American to do so, which is saying something, considering how brutal it is for Americans. Granted, I know nothing about engineering, so take all of this with a grain of salt, but if folks in engineering suggest trying to boost your math score, I'd give it a go. As a reference point, I'm in English lit and am a complete mathematical doofus, but I somehow scored a 750 on the math section of the GRE. So, I have to wonder if they're expecting something even higher for someone going into a math-based discipline? This is highly anecdotal, I know, and quite possibly entirely irrelevant, but there you go.

But do you think 1430 is too low to remain as a competent within international students?

Actually I thought it is sufficient score..............

The combined score is good, but engineering departments don't care much about your verbal score. For instance, at the school I attended for my master's degree (top 10 in most engineering fields), the median quantitative GRE score of applicants was 800. So getting a single question wrong places you in the bottom half of the application pool.

Take a look at this site to get an idea of the average GRE scores of admitted students at the universities you're considering. For instance, the average incoming PhD student at Georgia Tech has a 772 QGRE score. 757 at Boulder, 756 at TAMU.