Interviewing Tips

AgainstTheAuds

Hi Everyone- I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has went though the AuD interview process already, or preparing for interviews now.  Looking for any advice in regards to before, during, or after interviews. I know I should research the school, make sure my answers are professional, wear a suit, have a portfolio in hand, etc.

1) what should be included in my portfolio? CV/Resume, letters of rec, and...?

2) I am a female- more appropriate to wear suit pants or skirt?

3) I have been practicing interview questions, but what are some Dos & Dont's I should be aware of?

4) Are thank you cards/emails appropriate after this type of interview?

I am not usually a nervous person, but I find myself very anxious and over analytic when it comes to AuD interviews! ANY advice is appreciated, thank you!! 

I've gone through tours/interviews and phone interviews, no official interview yet. That's coming up this Friday.  But I feel like it's fairly straightforward. 

1. I would definitely have copies of your resume, most letters of recommendation are private and confidential so I don't have copies of those. I would also bring written out questions for them, along with written answers, if that works for you. It could help to have something to go off of, or at least practice with. I've found writing out answers to standard interview questions helps me know what to say, and having it in front of me can help guide me if I get stuck. Having questions prepared for them is professional and can help prevent you from forgetting important questions or blanking from nerves. 

2. I am also female; I've always worn suit pants/slacks. I would think a tasteful skirt of appropriate length could be acceptable as well, but I feel more comfortable in slacks myself. 

3. This website: http://www.gradschoolheaven.com/grad-school-interview-questions.htmlhas a LOT of the questions I've come across during interviews so far. I would follow some of the guidelines on the website. I can't think of any specific don'ts... don't ramble, don't talk too long, that's all prevented by planning your answer. Pause if you need time to think. Be honest and speak from the heart... most of these questions I just have honest answers to, I don't need to "plan". I KNOW what I want to study, why I like the university, etc. I KNOW why I got into audiology, I don't really have to "plan" those answers. 

4. I would send thank-you emails, yes. Just something short and sweet. It can't ever hurt, I did thank you emails after my tours as well; the more contact you have the more of an impression you make! 

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you're sure of yourself, your passion and desire to be an audiologist, just type out your answers to the questions listed on the website and you should be fine :). And bring questions for them! I would say it is definitely safe to ask questions about when you should expect to hear about acceptance/funding, maybe what they see as a high quality candidate, or specific questions about aspects of their program that are important to you. You can ask about specific research projects you're interested in and how you can become involved, etc. Just relax, take a deep breath, and be excited to be there and show them who you are and how you would make an awesome candidate and addition to their program. But remember, you're also interviewing them. See them as peers whose program and opportunities you are also evaluating. You are going to be fine!!

Just curious, where are your interviews at? Mine is Friday at University of Iowa :)

Thank you!! Many of my peers have been giving me the same advice. I never thought about writing out answers, just been practicing them verbally. So jotting some things down will definitly help with my nerves. Thank you for that link!

I have an interview next month at Pacific U in Portland, OR. I am hoping for a call/email soon about interveiwing in my hometown at Wayne State U.

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

I too am usually not a nervous person. I'm currently the hiring manager at my job so I'm always the one asking the questions-- this should be easy for me but I find myself freaking out since I am interviewing at my #1 choice in 2 days. Thanks for posting this! It's helped me a lot!

Thanks! I'm glad I was able to help  you all out :). I've found that my learning style is best aided by writing things down in preparation, and as we are all going into the same field, it would make sense that perhaps you all might learn in similar ways to me and benefit from the same strategies :)

Best of luck to you all on your interviews! And hearing back about interviews. It's this darn waiting game that's excruciating! Even on a few schools I've been accepted to, waiting to hear back about funding is hard. 

Catie, are you interviewing at Iowa too? Or perhaps a different school; my interview is on Friday as well, but I'm sure there are many different interviews going on that day throughout the country. 

AuDorBust: Thank you! You are a current Iowa student, I assume? I suppose I will see you Friday, then! I am very much looking forward to the entire day's festivities. A little concerned about the snow, driving about two hours tomorrow afternoon. Hoping it's not too bad! I'll get there one way or another! 

I am, and I can tell you the plan for lunch as of Tuesday was Panera. :) Mmmmm

The winter weather warning was cancelled a few hours ago, so by the time you get here it should be mostly cleaned up. Where are you planning on staying?

If you have any last minute questions about Iowa feel free to ask.

Ooh I love Panera! I currently live in a small town and am excited to eat from as many chains I don't have as I can! :)

I'm glad to hear the warning was canceled! I'm staying at Heartland Inn. This is the third time I've visited, first was unofficial visit of the town with my husband, second was official tour. I really love the city! We stayed somewhere else the first time, but I was very pleased with Heartland Inn last time.

I don't think I have any major questions. I'm just excited about the day and about getting to hear Dr. Bentler speak! Should be an enjoyable day. Thanks for the information! Excited about Panera now too ;)

Great, Heartland has the shuttle that will bring you to the hospital and you don't have to worry about parking! I will be very disappointed if Shawn decides to go with something else, becuase they are letting us eat the leftovers :) Dr. Bentler is great, I was actually listening to her while reviewing for an exam I have tomorrow.

Hi All, 

I was just curious if anyone will be interviewing at Wayne State tomorrow. I am really nervous and it would be really helpful to know I am not alone and someone is in the same boat as me!

Hi All,

I was just curious if anyone will be interviewing at Wayne State tomorrow. I am really nervous and it would be really helpful to know I am not alone and someone is in the same boat as me!

I AM!!! Currently laying in bed awake nervously prepping amd reading cause I can't sleep! Haha don't be nervous. My name is Sam, I'll try to find you in the AM!

Good luck everyone!!!!

Catie, are you interviewing at Iowa too? Or perhaps a different school; my interview is on Friday as well, but I'm sure there are many different interviews going on that day throughout the country. 

AuDorBust: Thank you! You are a current Iowa student, I assume? I suppose I will see you Friday, then! I am very much looking forward to the entire day's festivities. A little concerned about the snow, driving about two hours tomorrow afternoon. Hoping it's not too bad! I'll get there one way or another! 

I interviewed at UNC Chapel Hill today actually! It went pretty smoothly-- no reason for all the nerves. glad its over though! now just to wait it out...