GRE raw score vs. percentile

nm223

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if admissions committees look more at the GRE raw scores for verbal/quant/AWA or the percentile?

I got a 640 on verbal (up from 580 the first time) which seems low at first glance but is in the top 92nd percentile. The 580 score was in the 70-something percentile, so I consider it a good improvement. My Quant/AWA scores are where I want them to be so I'm not as concerned.

I'm applying to IR masters or MPP depending on the school and am not sure how competitive my scores are for the top top schools. I know the "whole package" application needs to be solid but was just curious how admissions people look at GRE scores.

Thanks for any insight in advance!

Most admissions committees look at the GRE scores as a 'minimum hurdle' and use it as a cutoff. Or, to quote the oft-repeated saying, "A bad score will hurt you, but a good one won't get you in." I've heard they're slightly more influential in outside fellowships due to it being one of the few universals to judge all students on.