When is enough experience...enough?

hallen127

Hello there!

I am considering applying to business school for 2016. I'm incredibly interested in my dream school: Stanford joint MBA Masters in Ed.

But, I'm concerned that I do not have enough experience to be a competative candidate. I've asked professional opinions of friends, professors and close employers, but have recieved different pieces of advice. I thought I'd throw out there my stats and see what you all think! I understand the un-related major in college, but I believe I developed solid critical thinking, research and analyticl skills to be successful in any post-bachelors degree plan...

Undergrad:

Liberal Arts college, Graduated 2012

Phi Beta Kappa

Magna Cum Laude. 3.84 GPA with honors

Religious studies/american history

Work experience (3 years)

Fulbright ETA grant teaching

Professional development for teachers internationally (via Fulbright)

Two years teaching full-time at a private American school internationally

Co-founder and current director of Finance and grant writing of an international NGO (Education focused)

I'll be 25 when applying and 26 if accepted when begining school.

My carrer aspirations are higher education consulting and eventually higher education management.  This is why the joint program at Stanford is so appealing to me.

Anyway, I know the gre and gmat are incredibly important factors and I havent taken them yet- but I'm more concerned about my experience. Is it worth giving it a shot?

Thanks for reading!

I would advise to revisit the situation once you have and are satisfied with your GRE/GMAT scores.

The difference between knowing and doing are huge.

You know you need your GRE/GMAT scores.

Your experience seems solid, and definitely is if you can articulate about it verbally and in writing.

So, instead of keeping yourself in the position that says: "I know I have to get a GRE/GMAT score, but is my experience enough? I need to know if it is before studying for 3-6 months for entrance exams"

Put yourself in the position where you can simply apply and find out. 

3 years experience is enough, more than enough. I don't understand where the hold-up is here. There people who get into Standford with two years of experience. I started my MBA with 5 years of experience...only because the Idea to chase the MBA came to me two years into my working career, spent two years fixing my resume/academics, etc. If I had the good grades, I would have started the MBA with two years experience....

• 2 weeks later...